"NOVOSIBIRSK SIBERIAN RUSSIA" Novosibirsk by DennyP
Novosibirsk Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 407 photos
Novosibirsk for me was another welcome stop on my long journey from Beijing to Moscow on the Trans Mongolian Express.. When I stepped down from the train the temperature on the digital clock said.. 4 degrees centigrade...so..for me not very warm at all after my last two months in the heat of South East Asia..
Although, I must say the temperatures in China and Mongolia were much cooler really enabling me to acclimatise myself somewhat..
The Day that I arrived in Novosibirsk was a great day, and a special day on the Russian calendar as this was" Victory Day" This was the day that they celebrate the Russian Victory over the German military conflict of the second World War.
All the trains and railway station were done out in variety of large and small red flags with colourful banners accompanied with bouquets of flowers everywhere stating that "The momentous Victory" was accomplished at huge cost to the civil and military populations. These banners were to be seen on train engines . carriages and all forms of rolling stock ..and a real party atmosphere everywhere was evident.
Being a major central Railway terminal Novosibirsk is a key industrial and transport centre moving huge mineral deposits mined locally and also a junction for trains to Kazakhstan and Central Asia. Other various long distance trains also stop here daily on their way through to Vladivostok and Moscow (The trans Siberian train) also Beijing Moscow (Trans Mongolian train)
So evident and noticeable was the vast amount of trains flat cars stacked with exactly cut to size timber logs obviously locally cut and stacked here then, loaded for their onward journey to China.. There seemed to be a never ending amount of goods trains on this vast rail network constantly ,all on their way to China. So many exceptionally long trains that seemed to take so long to pass consisting of tankers filled with oil and also vast amounts of Russian timber.
- Pros:GOOD TO ARRIVE ON SUCH A DAY OF CELEBRATION
- Cons:TOO COLD FOR ME
DennyP's Related Pages
Novosibirsk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La capitale de la Sibérie"
- "Novosibirsk - a Soviet style giant"
- "Welcome to my Novosibirsk"
- "the capital of Siberia"
- "The real Russia"
- "ice bowl"
- "Visiting on October 2005"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Novosibirsk
- Hotels in Novosibirsk
- Transportation in Novosibirsk
- Nightlife in Novosibirsk
- Restaurants in Novosibirsk
- Shopping in Novosibirsk
- Warnings and Dangers in Novosibirsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Novosibirsk
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Novosibirsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Novosibirsk
Photos in NovosibirskSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos