"GOATHLAND..NORTH EAST ENGLAND" Goathland by DennyP
Goathland Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 80 photos
The journey to Goathland was one that I looked forward to as being a viewer of the weekly series of "Heartbeat" I so looked forward to seeing the town from the series...Goathland ie:( Aidensfield )the name chosen for the show..is another of those picture postcard villages that was a the choice for the location of the series..the village was a reasonably busy day that I arrived and was told that it usually always has many visitors due to the popularity of the show..
I couldn't beleive my luck that the very day I visited Goathland there was a really colourful musical festival in place and the sounds of the music lead me down by the railway station. ,various bands were playing lots of old classic Rock and Roll music from the series ..This was an added bonus for me to hear such music which made the show extremely popular..and to see The band members in their brightly coloured "fifties suits" playing some of my favourite "Shadows" music I was having a great time..There was also lots of vehicles from the show around the town to add to the locations authenticity.I would say that a visitit to the North East of England would have to include this lovely little "character "place.
The local old steam train service that services this beautiful area is The North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) runs from the town of Pickering to Grosmont and its short (20 mile ) journey is one of the regions most popular tourist attractions..of course the stop at Goathland ( Aidensfield )is the most frequented and large amounts of visitors use the train..The day I visited I was pleasantly surprised when the little "puffing steam engine" with its period carriages pulled into the station and discharged most of its cargo of visitors to the village and also picked up a replacement lot that had been visiting the village. The railway Station is a popular place as well this was also used in the first "Harry Potter " movie when the train was the "Hogwarts Express".
- Pros:DEFINATELY WORTH THE VISIT TO THIS PRETTY VILLAGE
- Cons:NOT ENOUGH PLACES IN THE WORLD LIKE THIS..
- In a nutshell:YES...ID RETURN FOR ANOTHER VISIT
DennyP's Related Pages
Goathland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Does TV help or harm a village?"
- "Goathland - Aidensfield by any other name!"
- "Goathland peaceful little film set ? ! ? ! ? ! ?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goathland
- Hotels in Goathland
- Transportation in Goathland
- Restaurants in Goathland
- Shopping in Goathland
- Warnings and Dangers in Goathland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Goathland
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Goathland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goathland
Photos in GoathlandSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos