"ADELAIDE CAPITAL OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA" Adelaide by DennyP
Adelaide Travel Guide: 986 reviews and 2,164 photos
My recent trip to Adelaide was most enjoyable..I had just arrived on the "Indian Pacific" train from Sydney and must say it was a really enjoyable journey of some 2000 kilometers..being in Adelaide once again was so different as my previous visit was over 20 years ago.The photo is of the fountain in King Georges Square and a very interesting one..as Adelaide has always been extremely dry and always had a water problem...The Theme of the fountain and its figures shown holding different native birds these all depict the three rivers from which Adelaide draws its wate...firstly is The mighty Murray which is represented by an Aboriginal man holding an Ibis.. secondly is the Torrens River depicted by a woman holding a black Swan ...and lastly is the Okaparinga River with woman holding a Heron..The crown depicts the 1953 Royal Visit ...I was surprised that the fountain was turned off!!! (due to extreme water shortages and to the long drought)
Adelaide for the visitor is a really clean city with a big mixture of new and old.There are all sorts of accomodation available here..from backpackers to top class Hotels...I found the transport system to be first class and had no trouble using the efficient busses and trams..although my stay was only a brief six days ..I had many things on my "things to do list".. even when it was time to leave...a good reason to return...from it was here that I was to catch the"GHAN' train and continue on my journey north to the Northern Territory.....another amazing train journey to Alice Springs and Darwin..(please see my pages) and tips..
ADELAIDE .. an easy city to walk around as its all flat..many parks and buildings of interest to see..Take a tram to the beach ..transport system so easy to use..efficient ,clean, busses and trams that run regularly..
A walk in Rundle Mall is a must in Adelaide ..many different shops..and local street art..also the tourist information is located here.Pick up a map of the city ..and transport system..
- Pros:A VERY CLEAN CITY WITH GREAT TRANSPORT SYSTEM..
- Cons:IN WINTER IT GETS REALLY COLD HERE.. REALLY COLD
- In a nutshell:WOULD RETURN TOMORROW..
HAHNDORF Visiting Adelaide!!!. What a great Aussie city this is.. There are many things to see and do when in Adelaide... more travel advice
ADELAIDE I found these Central Markets in Adelaide city to be the best place to stock up on fresh foods of all kinds.... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Adelaide Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE FORGOTTEN CAPITAL CITY - ADELAIDE"
- "Here is where I'd live in Australia"
- "Adelaide - quieter than its eastern cousins"
- "Don't Overlook Adelaide"
- "IMPREXXION: ADELAIDE"
- "ADELAIDE'S XMAS PAGEANT"
- " Adelaide"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Adelaide
- Hotels in Adelaide
- Transportation in Adelaide
- Nightlife in Adelaide
- Restaurants in Adelaide
- Shopping in Adelaide
- Warnings and Dangers in Adelaide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Adelaide
- 8 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Adelaide?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Adelaide
Photos in AdelaideSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos