"BROKEN HILL "THE SILVER CITY"..New South Wales.." Top 5 Page for this destination Broken Hill by DennyP
Broken Hill Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 352 photos
Located 1160KLM'S West of Sydney. Reputed to be one of the most isolated mining towns Broken Hill is the longest living mined area..When Silver ore was discovered here by a boundary rider in 1883 is what was the beginning of .."BHP" ..Broken Hill Proprietery.. One of the biggest mining companies in the world.Locally known as"The Big Australian".and more recently named BHP Billiton.
Broken Hill is a big mining town then controlled and still heavily influenced by the mining Unions. Notably there used to be a pub on every corner they say. some still survive to this day serving the popular cold beer they always have had..You will notice when walking the streets and looking at the various street signs that most street names are named after different ores and minerals with the name relating to mining industry. ie Sulphide Street, Argent Street.
Mining tours are available for anyone that doesn't mind going "underground" as deep underground it gets extremely hot.. There are numerous art galleries to be found here as this "Silver City" has turned into a real "mecca" for all types of artists. The famous aussie artist "PRO HART" lived and had his gallery here attracting many visitors to view his incredible works. Nearby Silverton (see my page) is another artists scene as this desert landscape really attracts film makers and many have used this town also. Some being "mad Max movies along with a major part of "Pricilla Queen of the Desert" was filmed here.
There are many great pubs that supply good accomodation ,and that cool drink on a hot day...This also is the starting point if heading north for the famous Birdsville, on The Silver City highway..where you can have a drink in the famous Birdsville pub and see the way out Birdsville horseraces and drive the isolated Birdsville track to Adelaide..
Just outside broken Hill City are found many artists sculptures.
Although it is a desert scene out this way ..this is an exceptionally rich area in more ways than one. so, apart from the mineral bananza that has made Broken Hill famous...there is plenty of natural sights to see mainly the flora and the fauna..
- Pros:the beer is always very cold
- Cons:gets incredibly hot and dry out here.
SILVERTON When travelling out here always make sure that you have sufficient fresh bottled water with you..This can be... more travel advice
WHEN OUT AND ABOUT: I always carry these neccesary items. You may also find them helpful. I carry a small day backpack... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Broken Hill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BROKEN HILL - SILVER CITY"
- "Art Capital of Australia"
- "Broken Hill"
- "BROKEN HILL "THE SILVER CITY"..New South Wales.."
- "Beautiful Broken Hill"
- "Broken Hill - The Aussie outback"
- "The Broken Hill - Line of Lode"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Broken Hill
- Hotels in Broken Hill
- Transportation in Broken Hill
- Restaurants in Broken Hill
- Shopping in Broken Hill
- Warnings and Dangers in Broken Hill
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Broken Hill
- 4 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Broken Hill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broken Hill
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Second hand shop for clothes"
- Wrote a Review MAKE SURE THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE SUFFICIENT WATER in Broken Hill Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "VISIT THE NEARBY TOWN OF SILVERTON"
- updated a Broken Hill Travel Page "BROKEN HILL "THE SILVER CITY"..New South Wales.."
Photos in Broken HillSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos