"CASTLEMAINE..A GOLD TOWN..N.W. VICTORIA.." Castlemaine by DennyP
Castlemaine Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 58 photos
Located just 120 kilometers north-west of Melbourne ..Castlemaine is a weekend destination..This historic town is in the heart of the former gold mining belt of Victoria..first settled in the 1850's it was gold that kept Castlemaine prosperous and able to grow..there are areas that are now named by National trust one being the Herrons Creek gold digging area...The National Trust also has been put on many buildings here as well..in town on Wills Street is a monument to Burke and Wills in honour of Robert Bourke who was a police officer here in Castlemaine from 1858 to 1860..The old gaol now has become somewhat more of a friendly place to be as it is now a guesthouse.....all the cells are made out as guests rooms for guests to stay overnight or longer..A restaurant serves meals and they say there are a few ghosts here ..as well as I would imagine as this was a rather heavy prison . Castlemaine is popular with its beer...
When prisoners were executed here they were buried in this area..firstly they were buried standing up..this was an extra punishment so as they would never ever get any rest in their afterlife..secondly they were buried facing the back wall so that they could only see the back wall and never see freedom this was the maximum punishment for them for the henious crimes that they had committed...such was the punishment in those times...
This Gaol must have been for the really hardened and violent criminals as it was such a really fortified prison and I would imagine with little chance of internees ever escaping...
- Pros:HISTORICAL VICTORIAN TOWN ON THE GOLD TRAIL
DennyP's Related Pages
Castlemaine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pronounced Casselmain"
- "Castlemaine, another town built on gold discovery"
- "CASTLEMAINE..A GOLD TOWN..N.W. VICTORIA.."
- "The park in Castlemaine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Castlemaine
- Hotels in Castlemaine
- Transportation in Castlemaine
- Shopping in Castlemaine
- Warnings and Dangers in Castlemaine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castlemaine
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Castlemaine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castlemaine
Photos in CastlemaineSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos