"CHARLEVILLE NORTH WEST QUEENSLAND" Charleville by DennyP
Charleville Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 60 photos
Charleville..a well known town for Queenslanders in the central western part of the state and a rich pastoral centre..The first thing that I saw when entering Charleville was the "Stiger Voortex Guns" that were an early attempt to break the long drought 1902..and these cone shaped guns were filled with gunpowder and then fired into the air to hopefully make it rain...they were unsuccessful..The masive floods of 1990 really devistated Charleville and nearly wiped out the town but over the years has bounced back..Quantas made its regular flight service from here to Cloncurry in 1922..Cobb and Co.the famous coach builders had their main factory here in 1893 until 1920 when little demand forced the factory to close..I loved Charleville a real friendly country town..(typical of Queensland) and there is an icon pub here called the Hotel Corones.definately worth a visit and a cold beer or two..The Royal flying doctor has a base here also worth a visit..
This is an interesting place we visited and is all about the preservation of this endangered species..The Bilby..what a great little animal..so good to see this preservation programme happenning..
When driving out here the wildlife is in abundance and when we went through this part of Queensland it was in the midst of a really long drought...this brings the animals to the sides of the road to feed..these Emus will just without notice run across the road..so...when driving out here be extra careful..the roadkill is excessive out here...
Located in "out back " Queensland this is not really the place to visit in the summertime..as with all places out this... more travel advice
Upon arrival in Charleville..stop at the Tourist Information Centre..very helpful staff will give you all local... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Charleville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CHARLEVILLE NORTH WEST QUEENSLAND"
- "Charleville -"
- "Cool town in the middle of the Outback"
- "Charlevile - where the stars shine bright"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charleville
- Hotels in Charleville
- Transportation in Charleville
- Restaurants in Charleville
- Warnings and Dangers in Charleville
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Charleville
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Charleville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charleville
Photos in CharlevilleSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos