"WOOLONGONG SOUTHERN COAST NEW SOUTH WALES.." Wollongong by DennyP
Wollongong Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 627 photos
..Another tongue twister town...Woolongong located just over 100 kilometers south of Sydney on the southern coast of New South Wales. Known affectionately as "The Gong" to Aussies, a great place for a weekend away from the city and also to enjoy the local National Parks and excellent beaches.
Incorporated in 1859 Woolongong now has become the third biggest city in New South Wales..
Today many people say that "The Gong" is smog city and not worth visiting , but that is not correct..although it has always been associated with the coal that is mined in the area from the vast deposits at Coalcliff. much has been done to improve the air quality.The discovery of coal at Coalcliff was made by survivors of a shipwreck in 1797 when the vessel "Sydney Cove" came to grief here.This triggered a lot of interest to find a way inland to exploit the coal deposits and due to the ruggedness of the area all previous efforts were had to be made by sea.
The beaches here are large and clean and by looking at all the surfers and swimmers that I saw on my visit it is certainly a popular spot. Virtually surrounded by National park there are a lot of activities created ..ie bushwalking and hiking is very popular also. Actually the huge National Parks virtually ring the city.
Close by is Stanwell Park That overlooks the lovely beach of the same name.and at the top is "bald hill" The views from here are magnificent and at the Stanwell Tops this site is reputed to be , and is one of ,the most popular spots for hang gliding which is a huge attraction here. Adrenalin junkies come from far and wide to ride the thermals here.
The huge abbutments of The Illawara Ranges that overlook all of this area of Mount Keira and Sublime point offer incredible panoramas of the beaches and the ocean.
Walking along the Ocean front is to see the vast re-developement that is going on to rejuvinate the beach and coastal areas with new chnge and shower buildings with all new ammenities.and when is finished it certainly looks that it will be the envy of many seaside areas.
Standing on the point at "Flagstaff Hill."overlooking the breakwater that seperates North beach from South (Main) beach is a dominant lighthouse that has been on duty since its construction in 1872. The walk along the pathways at Woolongongs "Foreshore Park" is a very scenic one with great views from the lighthouse of the prominent breakwater with its huge rock boulders stacked to offset Mother Natures anger from the Ocean and also The south and north beaches.
- Pros:A VIBRANT CITY WITH GREAT BEACHES..
- Cons:SOME SMOG FROM THE COAL INDUSTRY
WOOLONGONG Woolongong is a great place if you want to go to the beach for the day...There are a choice of two large... more travel advice
WOOLONGONG . The walk along the seafront in Woolongong City is a must. The assault of the sea air on you nostrils along... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Wollongong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home is where the heart is!"
- "a great carmuseum & more"
- "Wollongong - definitely the best of both worlds!"
- "Nan Tien Temple"
- "Wonderful Wollongong"
- "Between the escarpment and the sea"
- "Wollongong and the Illawara"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wollongong
- Hotels in Wollongong
- Transportation in Wollongong
- Nightlife in Wollongong
- Restaurants in Wollongong
- Shopping in Wollongong
- Warnings and Dangers in Wollongong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wollongong
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Wollongong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wollongong
Photos in WollongongSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos