"CLONCURRY ...N.W..QUEENSLAND" Cloncurry by DennyP
Cloncurry Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 9 photos
.This is quite a famous little town as far as Aussies are concerned as it is here that John Flynn setup the "Royal Flying Doctor" in 1928 of which reaches now to all the outlying and very isolated farms, and sheep and cattle stations in "outback" Australia to bring much needed health care,first aid and transportation to hospitals..There are many large bases now for the R.F.D.aircraft that are needed for this service and are dotted around the country...People living in the outback could not be without this service...and a lot of the services are run on donations...
The first Qantas flight was also from Cloncurry to Winton in 1920..Cloncurry is a very hot place and holds a record temp of 52 degrees C reached in 1889 ( 125 F) ....not far from here if you want a cold beer is the famous pub "The Walkabout Creek Hotel" famous for its part in the movie "Crocodile Dundee" located in McKinley..Also from here was started the "School of the Air"...education for children in the outback...now known as the School of Distant Education..it is really good to visit one of these if you have the time to watch the kids on the radio...I did in Longreach...
DennyP's Related Pages
Cloncurry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CLONCURRY ...N.W..QUEENSLAND"
- "Cloncurry - Outback Queensland"
- "Cloncurry - Australia's Hottest Town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cloncurry
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Cloncurry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cloncurry
Photos in CloncurrySee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos