"COOLGARDIE WESTERN AUSTRALIA" Coolgardie by DennyP
Coolgardie Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 66 photos
A walk around Coolgardie today, still gives you a good idea of what the town used to be like , as they say the towns architecture hasn't changed much. The tourist information office is located in the The building called The Wardens Court. This lovely old stone building was built in 1898 with locally sourced stone. This large building also houses The Mining Registrars Office, also to be found is A Goldfields Exhibition that includes a history of the goldfields with many photos and goldfields memorabilia on display. I can imagine the life generated in this town in its heyday...amazing..
There still is today some of the really old iconic pubs still standing in Coolgardie. The Marble bar is one such Hotel that has been in its location since the turn of the century. There are many others also like The Denver City Hotel. Boy if these places could talk!!! The amount of stories told here over a few beers regarding gold strikes of joy and many prospectors stories of dissapointment.
There was one prospector who spent some time here and who had come from the gold rush in California to try his luck!!!...he later went on to become President of The United States of America..
Once a real boom town on the gold prospectors map...Today just a service town really for passing motorists. During the great gold rush of the late 1890's this town had no less than 20 Hotels to keep over 15000 thirsty miners and prospectors happy. Also there were three breweries to keep all the Hotels supplied with "liquid laughter" and there were six banks to handle and process the literally thousands of ounces of gold that was found here and flowed out of the area..
Just over 550 kilometers from Perth Coolgardie sits at the crossroads of The Great Eastern Highway, The Coolgardie Esperance Highway and the main road that leads to Kalgoorlie and mining towns further north.
- Pros:somewhat of a ghost town these days
- Cons:a shadow of its former self.
DennyP's Related Pages
Coolgardie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Coolgardie"
- "COOLGARDIE WESTERN AUSTRALIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coolgardie
- Transportation in Coolgardie
- Warnings and Dangers in Coolgardie
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Coolgardie
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Coolgardie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coolgardie
Photos in CoolgardieSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos