"GLEN INNES...NEW ENGLAND N.S.W." Top 5 Page for this destination Glen Innes by DennyP
Glen Innes Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 193 photos
Located 670 kilometers north west of Sydney on the New England Highway this very Celtic town owes a lot of its origins to the discovery of tin and precious stones...Today many people come here to "fossick" for saphires that are reputed to be some of the best in the country.."The Nugumbul "aboriginals used the area seasonaly and called the place "Eehrindi" as it is in the highlands it gets very cold here..as I found out..nearby is the Gibralter Range National park and is popular for its bushwalks..The area is known for its dairy cattle..also beef and sheep farming..because of its strong Celtic ties there is a Highland games held here in May and people come from far and wide for this event,there is nothing like the sounds of "the pipes and drums" in the parade to get you moving.This event seems to be growing in popularity every year...other festivals include the "Land of the Beardies" festival in November and The Minerama in September ..a mineral and precious stones festival..and there is a music festival in October...While here I stayed at the "Fossickers Caravan park which has all forms of accomodation.. The "Standing Stones" that are found in Glen Innes are like those stone circles found in Britain and Brittany except these are probably the only ones built outside Europe for 3500 years..This was a Bi Centennial project put in place by a small ambitious and dedicated group who wanted to mark the Celtic heritage of the Glen Innes area and what a wonderful result they have gotten for their efforts.....This ring of stones was inspired by The Ring of Brogar in Scotlands Orkney Islands..
The "standing stones in Glen Innes..and what a job it must have been to source all these and get them in place..
A different view of the standing stones..
- Pros:A wonderful New England town..
- Cons:only that it gets so cold...
- In a nutshell:great place to fossick for saphires..
GLEN INNES .. Depending on how much time you have while in Glen Innes...Do some fossicking..!! I know when I am... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Glen Innes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CELTIC COUNTRY"
- "some great architecture & more !"
- "The Celtic Connection"
- "Hello Again Glen Innes"
- "GLEN INNES...NEW ENGLAND N.S.W."
- "Beautiful Glen Innes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glen Innes
- Hotels in Glen Innes
- Transportation in Glen Innes
- Restaurants in Glen Innes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glen Innes
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Glen Innes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Innes
Photos in Glen InnesSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos