"GUNDAGAI.....NEW SOUTH WALES.." Gundagai by DennyP
Gundagai Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 30 photos
Well this site is an absolute in aussie folklore and is an aussie icon.The dog on the tuckerbox.(lunchbox) 5 miles.(8 kilometers) from Gundagai..a memorial for the poem by Jack Moses of the "bullockey" (bullock driver) who's dog shat on his tuckerbox..this is a great story about the mateship , a real aussie trait and is between a man and his cattle dog.The memorial was sculptured by Frank Rusconi..also located at this site are the unique copper sculptures of the the "Rudd Family" Dad, Dave, Mum and Mabel..(another aussie icon) characters from the old known radio series by its author Steele Rudd. The name of the popular programme was called "On our Selection" a really comical old radio series of a very funny disfunctional rural family.This story was when this was the evenings entertainment, and familys sat togeather in the evenings by the fire listening to the radio..
Gundagai has seen its share of natural disasters and in the year of 1852 saw a devestating flood in Gundagai claiming 98 lives .In the aftermath of the flood it was decided by local officials to move the town to the top of the hill where it is now located.
Gundagai has a rural economy based on sheep and cattle..grain crops are grown here as well as asparagus..The town of Gundagai has some interesting things to see and is worth a days stopover at least..The town has some interesting buildings that go back over a hundred years and have National Trust certification..The court house built in 1859 saw the trial of the bushranger "Captain Moonlight". The Prince Alfred bridge constructed in 1866 is the longest timber viaduct bridge in the southern hemisphere. A visit to the Gundagai historical Museum is worthwhile as well and has Phar Lapps saddle cloth...November ..Gundagai hosts the "Dog on the Tuckerbox" Festival with a two day race meeting culminating in the running of the "Snake Gulley Cup".
.Also check out the Tourist information centre it has a wealth of things to see in the centre as well as the information that is obtainable.There is a good camping area located here also.....
GUNDAGAI...This is not a very big set of sculptures but conjures up the fun of this comical disfunctional family and the laughs they gave so many aussie radio listeners all those years ago...
- Pros:well worth a visit to this aussie icon
- Cons:gets very hot in summer
- In a nutshell:gotta see the dog on the tuckerbox..
DennyP's Related Pages
Gundagai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""...and the dog shat on the tuckerbox...""
- "GUNDAGAI.....NEW SOUTH WALES.."
- "Iconic town remembered in song"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gundagai
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Gundagai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gundagai
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos