"HAHNDORF AN AUSSIE GERMAN TOWN" Top 5 Page for this destination Hahndorf by DennyP
Hahndorf Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 102 photos
Located just a short bus ride from Adelaide city delivers you to this most attractive place..Allow yourself at least a full day to enjoy what this little town has to offer.
I arrived in late March and the lovely shaded tree lined streets were awash with the different changing colours of the autumn leaves..Hahndorf is the oldest non English immigrant settlement in Australia ,being first settled in 1839 by a small group of German speaking Lutherans trying to evade their religous persecution in Europe..it wasn't long before this determined group of people had turned their fertile holdings into somewhat of a" food bowl" for the people of Adelaide and their bountiful range of fruit and vegetables were regularly transported to the city's markets for sale..The German influence in the town of Hahndorf is today still really evident in the foods and traditional German fare that is offered in the many hotels and restaurants in this colourful town.
Although being so influenced by german lifestyle this is very much a multi -cultural town offering many different cafes, restaurants and bakeries and many different gourmet stores offering a host of local produce..Hahndorf also produces its own wines.
Hahndorf also has many places to stay if you decide to stay and make a weekend of great food and locally produced wines..This small town really has a lot to offer the traveller..I came up to Hahndorf to especially have some German fare...and that was some true wonderful "german sausages and potato salad" ( bratwurst mit kartoffel salat) along with a stein or two of german beer as only can be found in a truly german establishment..I wasn't dissapointed...and if I ever find myself once again in Adelaide city I will surely return to Hahndorf.
- Pros:a small town with big menus..
HAHNDORF The day that I went up to Hahndorf for a visit it was wonderful the weather was absolutely marvellous.... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Hahndorf Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Settled by the Prussians"
- "Lovely Little Hahndorf"
- "Hahndorf, Australia"
- "Hahndorf - Not just another German tourist town."
- "HAHNDORF AN AUSSIE GERMAN TOWN"
- "Adelaide region's own German town"
- "Sure It's a Bit Touristy, but Still Worth a Look"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hahndorf
- Hotels in Hahndorf
- Transportation in Hahndorf
- Restaurants in Hahndorf
- Shopping in Hahndorf
- Warnings and Dangers in Hahndorf
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hahndorf
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Hahndorf?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hahndorf
Photos in HahndorfSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos