"HYDEN AND WAVE ROCK SOUTH WESTERN WEST AUSTRALIA" Hyden by DennyP
Hyden Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 255 photos
Situated in the Wheat belt of Western Australia, Hyden is 340 kilometers east of Perth.This small town along with its tiny population where the only bank opens one day a week there is no police force and no high school..The mainstay for town is tourism and the local folk are doing their level best to promote the town and area as much as possible. There are many humourous figures and pieces of "art" that adorn the town centre and have been made by locals from allsorts of waste mechanical parts. There is very little to see in the town but is good for a cold beer and a great country hamburger..
The town of Hyden is best known for its famous rock formation. Located 4 kilometers out of town this marvellous piece of natures doing is known as "Wave Rock" a large rock formation that takes on the appearance of a rolling wave..
The afternoon was getting late as I drove into the caravan park at "Wave Rock" it had been a long days drive up from Albany in the south to Hyden..... As I had previously booked accomodation I placed my gear into a great little room and set out to look at the amazing natural rock formation known as "Wave Rock" in the afternoon setting sun...this was good timing as the late afternoon sun created a change of colours to the sandstone formation.This I found to be really photographic and also I was very lucky very few visitors remained as all the tourist busses that come out for the day from Perth City had departed for their return journey. I was enabled to virtually have the place to myself and get what photos that I wanted as the only other people were campers..
There is more to see than just wave rock as there are many walks.. one can do over and around the area ..all information is available at the reception desk of the caravan and camping park that looks after all entry to the park..There are many signs depicting different sights and advisory signs for all the walking trails here..There is an overhang to the rock at over 15 meters and extreme care should be taken while walking around above the rock...There are excellent stairways that lead to the top of the formation.
The Rock is over 15 meters high and 100 meters long it is beleived to be over 60 million years old..The local Noongar aboriginals hold this are in high regard and have been in the area for tens of thousands of years...The "Wave Rock" formation is a national attraction and receives thousands of visitors evry year even with its out of the way location..There are lots of walking tracks and also.. to and along the top of the rock.
- Pros:ANOTHER OF AUSTRALIAS WONDERS..
- Cons:REALLY OUT OF THE WAY PLACE..BUT WORTH IT..AMAZING
- In a nutshell:WELL WORTH THE VISIT..CAN BE VERY HOT
HYDEN ..This place can be extremely hot in the summer months which can be well into spring and autumn also..The most... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Hyden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Journey from Perth to Hyden - Waverock"
- "Hyden WA - Home of the Stunning Wave Rock"
- "HYDEN - HOME OF THE FAMOUS WAVE ROCK"
- "Gateway to Wave Rock"
- "Hyden, Western Australia"
- "Hyden and Wave Rock"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hyden
- Hotels in Hyden
- Restaurants in Hyden
- Shopping in Hyden
- Warnings and Dangers in Hyden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hyden
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Hyden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hyden
Photos in HydenSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos