"KATOOMBA.. NEW SOUTH WALES.." Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba by DennyP
Katoomba Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 332 photos
KATOOMBA Katoomba is an aboriginal name meaning "falling Water" located 100 km West of Sydney it is easy to reach by train car or bus tour .The area attracts many visitors and has some wonderful walking and hiking trails..for the less active there is The Scenic Railway and a Skyway observation cable car with great views of The Forrest and valley floor ..There is an explorers tree "blazed " by Blaxland Wentworth and Lawson ..(the original explorers that found their way over the mountain to the fertile land beyond)..is on the road just west of Katoomba.
The scenery from Echo point and the Three Sisters is breathtaking into the Jamieson Valley ...The three sisters in aboriginal mythology are..Mennhi,Wimlah and Gunnedoo..Katoomba has always been a great place to go to get out the city for a day or two..I am usually asked by friends visiting from abroard to take them there to visit..and must say everyone usually is very impressed by the really brearthtaking views that one can have from Echo point of the Jamieson Valley and the valley of forrest beyond that goes to the horizon..The scenes of the" three sisters"here is also a great photo opportunity..The granduer of the sandstone cliffs and eucalyptus forrests draw many visitors to this scene..more of here will be covered in my "Blue Mountains National Park "page..There are many walking tracks from Echo Point and also at the valley floor ..reached by the Scenic Railway..you will notice the coolness on the valley floor..and the quietness...today I only heard the birds...and as the aboriginals say..."listen to the wind"..There are many different types of birds and parrots and cockatoos that frequent this mountain bushland..This local area of the Blue Mountains has always been well known for its large Bohemian community of really well known artists and musicians that live here ..There are numerous galleries and many local art pieces can be seen...This is a Unesco World Heritage Site.
On Wednesday the 29th of November2000 The World Heritage commitee of UNESCO inscibed The Greater Blue Mountains areaon the Worlds Heritage listings. To view the best of the site Echo point is at the southern end of Katoomba and it is here that you will have your best photo opportunities....there is plenty of parking ..although it costs..and i'ts here where you will view the Jamieson Valley and Three sisters from the large new observation areas..also here are ammenities for mums with kids ..toilets..and an information centre..also you will notice the smell of fresh air rising from the valley forrests.. This area of combined National Parks is huge, and contains seven National Parks here that cover an area of over one million acres of wilderness.
The Jamieson valley is vast and you will need a panoramic lens to capture it all on a photo...The blue mist is what gives the area its name..its juice expelled from the eucalyptus trees..a huge problem here in all of the mountains area is bush fires ..SO PLEASE..be careful with your cigarettes..make sure that they are OUT...also ...see my tips...
- Pros:Great chocolates at the Paragon Cafe in Katoomba
- Cons:weather can change quickly and get very cold..
- In a nutshell:what a wonderfully scenic area..please keep it clean..
KATOOMBA You know it's not such a long ride from the City to Katoomba.This depends on the amount of stops usually... more travel advice
BE AWARE These many National Parks here are a very popular place for bushwalkers and hikers but are not without their... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Katoomba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KATOOMBA.. NEW SOUTH WALES.."
- "A STAY IN THE BLUE MOUNTAINS"
- "Katoomba - key to the Blue Mountains"
- "Heart of the Blue Mountains"
- "The Blue Mountains & Katoomba"
- "Katoomba: The Capital of the Blue Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Katoomba
- Hotels in Katoomba
- Transportation in Katoomba
- Nightlife in Katoomba
- Restaurants in Katoomba
- Shopping in Katoomba
- Warnings and Dangers in Katoomba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Katoomba
- 13 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Katoomba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Katoomba
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Second hand shop for clothes"
- Commented on one of DennyP's Katoomba tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "CARRY A GOOD INSECT REPELLANT"
- Wrote a Review TAKE A TRAIN RIDE FROM THE CITY TO KATOOMBA in Katoomba Transportation
- updated a Katoomba Travel Page "KATOOMBA.. NEW SOUTH WALES.."
Photos in KatoombaSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos