"KURANDA FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND" Kuranda by DennyP
Kuranda Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 181 photos
THE SCENIC CAIRNS TO KURANDA RAILWAY.
I have always love to ride trains especially the small ,out of the way trains that are extremely unique, scenic, and popular. This train that runs from Cairns Central to the small town in the mountainous rain forrest of Kuranda in Northern Queensland is no exception..this being one of the three famous local trains in Queensland to travel on.. being, The Gulflander (see Normanton page),The Savannahlander, and the Kuranda Scenic Railway..Kuranda can be reached also by local bus from the Cairns bus Terminus (outside Woolworths)..This is a much cheaper way than the train ..but is good to got to Kuranda by train and back by bus..
Kuranda is a lovely little town by the rainforrest and is great for a short visit most places are very expensive and they tend to "wring" the tourists out a bit too much...When it was in full swing with all the hippies living there they say it was a small "Nimbin" but today with the hippies moved on or owning the buisinesses..Am sure it is a far cry today from its heyday...
Building this rail line through to Kuranda from the city of Cairns was no mean feat...not only were the workers confronted with mountainous rain forrest but the climate, disease, and deadly creatures made it that much more difficult...The work commenced in 1887 and employed 1500 men.(.who had to supply their own tools)..:picks, shovels etc..These were extremely hard times,jobs were scarce and men worked hard to feed their families and keep their job, however difficult it was..
.The track ascends 328 meters through 15 tunnels, crosses 37 bridges and nearly 100 tight curves..to ride this train is to marvel at the fortitude that these workers must have endured building this most scenic and sometimes breathtaking little railway..
This train departs from Cairns Central Station at 8.30 am daily and it is a good idea to book as this is a very popular and train enthusiasts as well as locals from all over the world come to ride this scenic train..The Engines are painted in motifs of the "Aboriginal dreamtime" and are extremely attractive in their livery.The carriages have all been renovated from a period around the 1930"s ..this adds to the charm of this train I beleive...Your journey from Cairns Central to Kuranda takes 1 hour and 45 minutes ..I found it quite expensive and did not get a return ticket but travelled back by local bus from Kuranda to Cairns very cheaply...this makes the cost of the journey easier on families.but still a journey well worthwhile doing..
I would suggest to anyone that decides to take this scenic train journey make sure that your camera batteries are charged as there is just so many wonderful sights to photograph on this short but wonderful journey.
The train makes a stop at the Barron Falls for about 15 minutes and this is truly a wonderful sight especially when there has been a rainstorm or around the wet season...these are truly majestic a huge waterfalls.There is a large viewing deck to get the pics that you want ..also along the way there are so many other waterfalls you must be vigilant..some of the bridges also are quite spectacular..
- Pros:one of the three great small trains to ride in QLD
- Cons:the cost is a little high for families
- In a nutshell:this is truly a lovely little town to visit
KURANDA NORTH QUEENSLAND ..Always when travelling in tropical northern Australia carry and use a strong and reliable... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Kuranda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Village of Kuranda"
- "Kuranda in the Cairns Rainforest"
- "Just enjoy the atmosphere of Kuranda"
- "Kuranda,village in the Rainforest"
- "Rainforest and Skyrail"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuranda
- Hotels in Kuranda
- Transportation in Kuranda
- Restaurants in Kuranda
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuranda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuranda
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Kuranda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuranda
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: FIRST TIME TRAVELLER* HOSTEL..."
- Wrote a Review ALWAYS CARRY & USE A STRONG MOSQUITO REPELLANT in Kuranda Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "ALWAYS CARRY & USE A STRONG MOSQUITO REPELLANT"
- updated a Kuranda Travel Page "KURANDA FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND"
- Commented on one of Anne12's Kuranda travel pages
Photos in KurandaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos