"LAUNCESTON ..TASMANIA" Launceston by DennyP
Launceston Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 309 photos
Situated by the edge of the picturesque Tamar Valley..Launceston is surely in a wonderful position..Settled in 1804 Launceston is the second biggest city in Tasmania..it boasts many wonderful early colonial buildings that are classified by the National Trust.....Launceston is known for its abundance of parks and reserves with manicured lawns and gardens..There are many fine art Galleries and museums to see in Launceston one being the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery that contains many exhibits of very early Colonial artwork along with more contemporary Australian works..
I was surprised at just how much there was to do when Arriving in Launceston.I had many "things to see" noted and the first place I wanted to visit was Cataract Gorge..The "GORGE" as the locals call it..This is a great place to take a picnic..have a swim...and do one of the many walks that are available to do here..an area really popular with the locals..very close to cataract Gorge is The Penny Royal World..great place for kids...also an Automotive museum with many fine old cars and motorcycles..there is a planetarium..and very popular is te Waverly Woolen Mills and is the oldest and finest woolen mills in Australia that does tours ..
Opened in 1968 to join the east and west banks of the Tamar river..This attractive bridge was one of the first cable trussed bridges to be built in the world ..The scenery here in the Tamar valley is everywhere..so many photo situations..so many places to stop in Tassie for "farm stops" I was after the famous "leatherwood honey"..and there are many places to find great homegrown bottled products while here....
Georgetown is another of those lovely out of the way Tasmanian towns ..located right on the eastern shore of the Tamar River and in a great location..named after King George V..there are many old buildings in the town some of which date from the middle of the 1800's..another magic little town...another Tassie secret..
- Pros:TASMANIA..A WELL KEPT SECRET..
- In a nutshell:SO MANY PLACES THAT ONE COULD CALL HOME
For anyone who likes a beer or maybe just interested in seeing the whole process of how beer is made..this is an... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Launceston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IMPREXXION: TASMANIA-LAUNCESTON"
- "A weekend in Launie!"
- "Launceston - A Great Intro to Tasmania!"
- "Welcome to Launceston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Launceston
- Hotels in Launceston
- Transportation in Launceston
- Restaurants in Launceston
- Shopping in Launceston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Launceston
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Launceston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Launceston
Photos in LauncestonSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos
Latest Launceston hotel reviews
- Colonial Motor Inn Launceston
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Cradle Mountain Lodge
- 778 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Cornwall Boutique Hotel & Spa
- 273 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Parklane Motel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 28, 2013
- Fiona's Bed and Breakfast - Launceston B&B
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Launceston Backpackers
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Waratah On York Launceston
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Olde Tudor Motor Inn Launceston
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2013
- Hotel Tasmania
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013