"NORMANTON ..in the Queensland Gulf Country.." Normanton by DennyP
Normanton Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 45 photos
This photo was taken as the sunset while spotlighting for crocodiles on the Normanton River..I would say that one would have to be unlucky not to see some as I managed to see about eight or so on the particular night that I went..There is a replica of a crocodile in the main street " krys" The Savannah King..the largest recorded saltwater crocodile taken in Australia..it was shot in the Normanton River in 1958 by a woman Krystina Pawloski..it measured 8.6 meters long....Camp 119 was the last camp of Burke and Wills before they reached the Gulf of Carpentaria and is located on the road to Bourketown ..not far ..and on the banks of the Bynoe River.
The Gulflander is a motorail train that runs from Normanton to Croydon..a distance of some 94 miles..known today as the "railway from nowhere to nowhere".and is beleived to be one of the most unique and original railways in the world.The train is very popular with train buffs and travellers come from all over the world to ride this remarkable train....it makes many stops to drop off postage,goods and items to the remote cattle stations on its journey from Normanton to Croydon. A lot of wildlife can be seen from the train and if you want a closer look at a point of interest the "driver will stop the train for you..The train only carries a small number of passengers and is usually a jovial atmosphere on board...The journey starts early morning and is best to book the day before at the Normanton railway station...The train is relied on heavily especially in the wet season....unusually the lines are not laid on balast but directly on the ground..it was done this way to save on the large costs of bringing in the balast...There is a "refreshing stop" about halfway at "Blackbull" where for a small charge a lovely prepared morning tea and cakes..is organised by some of the local women...The train makes the return trip the following day but for those who don't wish to stay overnight at the Croydon Hotel.. (they say it's haunted) you can catch the bus in Croydon back to Normanton that afternoon..I really enjoyed the trip (both ways) being a train"buff "I always take the opportunity when it is possible to take advantage of such a unique journey.....This is really typical "layback" Queensland outback..you've gotta love it.
You will notice in the main strret of Normanton is this replica of a crocodile named "Krys"" that was shot here in Normanton..in the Normanton River in 1958 by one very brave woman..krystina Pawloski.The crocodile is over 28 feet long.. just over 8.6 meters...my daughter was laying in its mouth for this photo..its feet were about 30 CM across..its huge...
- Pros:THE FRIENDLINESS OF THESE COUNTRY PEOPLE IN FNQ
- Cons:NONE THAT STAND OUT..THERE ARE ALWAYS NEGATIVES IF YOU WANT TO FIND SOME
- In a nutshell:I WOULD RETURN TOMORROW GIVEN THE CHANCE
NORMANTON When driving up this way you will notice that the roads/highway tend to be a lot narrower and it is... more travel advice
When travelling in the northern part of Australia, anywhere really across the "top end" here in Queensland or the... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Normanton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NORMANTON ..in the Queensland Gulf Country.."
- "Normanton, Railway Buff's Mecca"
- "Normington - Home of the Famous Purple Pub"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Normanton
- Hotels in Normanton
- Transportation in Normanton
- Restaurants in Normanton
- Warnings and Dangers in Normanton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Normanton
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Normanton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Normanton
Photos in NormantonSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos