"STANLEY..NORTH WEST TASMANIA" Stanley by DennyP
Stanley Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 61 photos
Driving west along the Northern coastal highway through this really pictureque region of Tasmania one passes through lovely quiet towns like Penguin and Boat Harbour and then there it is in the distance .."The Nut" and you know you have reached Stanley.The small town of Stanley sits at the base of the NUT at the end of a peninsula...Stanley is a place that I circled on my map as "must visit as I had only heard positives about this smal unique town..Stanley not only is in a great location but has classified historic town status as the oldest town in Northern Tasmania going back to the early 1800's
The nut is apparently the base of an old volcano and stands 150 meters high..There is a chair lift that takes you to the top and back..I noticed on the way up that it was quite windy ..and its a great view,Take a walk around the top there are wonderful 360 degree views from on top and great photo opportunity..I booked into the local pub and had an amazing evening meal..huge...seafood...reasonably priced too..
When you reach the top..I chose to take the chairlift...there is a bush path walkway right around the top of the nut itself..and this takes about 30 minutes..The 360 degree scenery from here is quite wonderful..
Stanley has many little houses that have survived from the early to mid 1800's..and I must say it was a joy to walk around this small town and look at all the early buildings..
- Pros:This is really worth the drive along the coast to Stanley.
- Cons:didn't stay long enough..
- In a nutshell:The seafood here is sensational..especially the lobsters
DennyP's Related Pages
Stanley Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Stanley
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Stanley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stanley
Photos in StanleySee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos