"URALLA...NEW SOUTH WALES.." Uralla by DennyP
Uralla Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 40 photos
Located on the New England highway between Tamworth and Armidale the town of Uralla is another of those towns with a history linked to the goldrush..gold was discovered here in 1852 and in no time a small town grew up.
When I travel through this great country of OZ I am always looking at what happenned wherever I am!! Every town has some historic story to tell , The town of Uralla was no exception. There was a rather monumental event that pushed Uralla into the spotlight and that was its association with the bushranger "Captain Thunderbolt"who was shot to death here by police after a shootout at Kentucky Creek. Thunderbolt used to roam this New England area and knew it well and consequently used his familiarity with the area to hide out. There was a lot of controversy regarding to his death and his shooting ,as the bush ranger was reputed to never shoot to harm anyone.
You can't miss this statue of "Thunderbolt"this infamous bushranger in the main street of URALLA...it is right outside the tourist information centre..his grave is also located nearby..Visitors should also remember that Uralla is at over 1000 meters elevation and is another of those New England towns That is bitterly cold in winter.
Nearby is the Grave of the bushranger Captain Thunderbolt...He was reputed to be unarmed when shot to death by police.
- Pros:a little historical town in New South Wales.
DennyP's Related Pages
Uralla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just at the crossroads"
- "'CEREMONIAL MEETING PLACE' - URALLA"
- "URALLA...NEW SOUTH WALES.."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uralla
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Uralla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uralla
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos