"WATSONS BAY ...SYDNEY" Watsons Bay by DennyP
Watsons Bay Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 162 photos
Recently when in Watsons bay ..I came out to visit and also for to take some photos...it was a lovely day and I also wanted information on the BONDI BLUE EXPLORER Bus that runs out to these eastern and southern Beaches..The information about all the bus trip .. is on my Sydney page (transport tips) I must say the busses are a great way to see all of this area..There is a lot to see out here and I had to put some information under "South Sydney" page..as some names did not register...This area also falls under the Sydney Harbour National Parks...which all of this Harbour area and Islands does..a main interest here was the the walk from the Gap Bluff..through Watsons bay to South Head..(the other side of the harbour ) a wonderful serene walk with great walkways ..(see my tip) on South Sydney page..This is a very wealthy part of Sydney as you will see by the real estate.
The Gap Bluff is a picturesque part of this area and when you climb to the top of the cliffs there are wonderful views offering great photo opportunies.. also on such a hot day the sea breeze was most welcomed..there are walkways right around the tops of these headlands..and are easily accessed.This .. unfortuneately as scenic as it is.. is the most popular place for "jumpers"..people that have decided they want out...and jump off the cliff.
This is the lighthouse on South Head built in 1858 and known as the "Hornby Lighthouse"..This area is a very old part of Sydneys defenses as this was a large artillery Fort guarding the entrance to Sydney Harbour..The remains of many of the old gun emplacements are still here...one with a date I saw 1876...The lighthouse and lighthouse keepers cottage are in fine condition as they are also all in the realms of the Sydney Harbour National Parks ..and are here to see..Early in 1857 ..120 lives were lost when the ship "The Dunbar" went onto the rocks and sank at the Gap mistaking it for the entrance to Sydney Harbour...This is still a large military establishment and movement is restricted a little..The main Artillery school was moved early in the century to North Head..(opposite) (see my tips on this area)...on the walk here there are many secluded Harbour beaches that one never hears of..The walkways are well posted and there are public toilets along the way.
- Pros:MOST WONDERFUL VIEWS OF THE HARBOUR
- In a nutshell:LOVELY PLACE TO LIVE...
DennyP's Related Pages
Watsons Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a wonderful day!"
- "A Beautiful Day in Watsons Bay"
- "Breathtaking Watsons Bay"
- "WATSONS BAY ...SYDNEY"
- "Watsons Bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Watsons Bay
- Transportation in Watsons Bay
- Restaurants in Watsons Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in Watsons Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Watsons Bay
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Watsons Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Watsons Bay
Photos in Watsons BaySee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos