"WINTON. N.WEST QUEENSLAND.." Winton by DennyP
Winton Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos
What a great Queensland town this is...A.B."Banjo" Patterson wrote the words of Aussies unofficial national anthem near here "Waltzing Matilda" when he stayed at the Dagsworth Station just out of Winton in 1895 and he gave its first reading at the North Gregory Hotel in Winton....(still there today) good pub too...Originally known as The Pelicans Waterhole..but is said.. the postmaster changed the name as it was too long to frank on the stamps and called it Winton...Winton is located at two major Highways and is the centre for major rail and road for Western Queensland..for a small town there is a lot to see here..
When in Winton there is a lot to see regarding all the folklore and the rural commitment to the area...I found in the Matilda centre a really wonderful exhibit on the Australian Light Horse in Palestine and the middle east...This monument is to "banjo" and it stands just outside the Matilda Centre in the Main street..Waltzing Matilda is much loved by Australians and is regarded as our National song and it has played at every significant event and moment in Australias history for the last century.. you always know there's Aussies around when you hear this song sung.
When driving in this part of Queensland be careful of these huge roadtrains that transport the cattle and other loads from the Gulf country to here in Winton and where they are unloaded for various destinations. These are huge vehicle these Roadtrains they take up a lot of the road, so be AWARE and give them lots of room and ALSO watch out for your windscreen from flying stones. Being a major intersection for transport services this can be an extremely busy place..from here the cattle are loaded onto trains for Townsville and Rockhampton.
- Pros:A GREAT TOWN..SEE IT FOR YOURSELF..
DennyP's Related Pages
Winton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not Only One Winton"
- "WINTON. N.WEST QUEENSLAND.."
- "FRIENDLY WINTON."
- "ankx's new VICTORIA Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winton
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Winton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winton
Photos in WintonSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos