"PERU...LAKE TITICACA" Lago Titicaca by DennyP
Lago Titicaca Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 367 photos
Bordered by both Peru and Bolivia this huge Lake sits at 3,800 meters (12,500ft) . One thing that is quite fantastic is to find large ships navigating up here in amongst the clouds. This makes Lake Titicaca the highest navigable lake in the world and also the largest in South America.
To take a trip out to one of the man made islands is a must if possible.These native island dwellers live on the( Uros) these are a group of some 40 floating Islands.. These Islands have become extremely popular with tourists in Peru who flock to these Islands. Excursions to these floating Islands are from the town of Puno. The western part of the Island lies within the Puno Region of the lake..I found it quite amazing to spend the day out on a couple of these islands and found it like walking on a waterbed. The water reeds ( Totora reeds) had just been added over the many years locals had lived there and the islands just grew.These reeds are found in the shallows and harvested
The local natives that I encountered were extremely friendly and I also added a little with a small bag of oranges for the children..They were happy to let me take photographs and watch their daily habits. They had been catching frogs and dozens were all layed out in the sun to dry out.This I supposed was a staple part of the native diet.
- Pros:THIS LAKE IS AMAZING THAT IT IS AT NEARLY 4000 METERS
- Cons:ALTITUDE FOR ME...
DennyP's Related Pages
Lago Titicaca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The highest lake and some islands"
- "Totora (3827m)"
- "Exploring Titicaca Lake"
- "Experience Lago Titicaca"
- "A photographer's paradise!"
- "Lake Titicaca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago Titicaca
- Hotels in Lago Titicaca
- Transportation in Lago Titicaca
- Nightlife in Lago Titicaca
- Restaurants in Lago Titicaca
- Shopping in Lago Titicaca
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago Titicaca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago Titicaca
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Lago Titicaca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago Titicaca
Photos in Lago TiticacaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos