"ISABELA ISLAND GALAPAGOS GROUP OF ISLANDS" Isla Isabela by DennyP
Isla Isabela Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 233 photos
The largest of all the Islands in the Archipeligo and named after Queen Isabela of Spain, Isabela Island is also one of the youngest in the group. The English named the Island Albermarle after the Duke of Albermarle.
Inundated with active Volcanoes this is one of the most volcanic active areas in the world. Located not far from the hotspot where it originated Isabela is easily recognised as it is the largest and shaped like a seahorse. Sierra Negra is the most active volcano on earth.
My visit here some years ago was a short one but I can still remember the climb up to the top the mountain over extremely rough solidified"magma" lava flow that was very uneven and dificult to walk on. The reward at the top looking back to the small beach below I remember was a very rewarding site. The thought is always there though that these are the most active volcanoes in the world. The vegetation was sparse mainly large catus and animal life sparse. appatently there are many large Galapagos tortoise to be seen although the lava flows created a problem restricting their movements ,there are large numbers here on Isabela.
The Marine life to be seen on Isabela is abundant also is the prolific birdlife.To be seen here the waters edge are Marine Iguanas , Land Iguanas, bright red Sally Lightfoot crabs, different species of Galapagos tortoise, unfortunately feral rats that tend to decimate the birdlife, Also large groups of feral goats that have also plundered the plants and foliage. A recent eradication programme by the department of wildlife has removed they say over 100.000.
For me I am always attracted by the birdlife and once again here there are many Blue footed Boobies to be found nesting...although they are primarily a seabird they use these Islands to nest. Also are Galapagos Hawks, Cormorants ,and penguins , Pink Flamingoes also can be seen in the lagoon.
- Pros:ANOTHER ISLAND IN THIS AMAZING ARCHIPELIGO
- Cons:NEVER ENOUGH TIME HERE
DennyP's Related Pages
Isla Isabela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Isabela"
- "The Three aspects of Isabela"
- "ISABELA ISLAND GALAPAGOS GROUP OF ISLANDS"
- "Isla Isabela"
- "Large diverse island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Isabela
- Hotels in Isla Isabela
- Transportation in Isla Isabela
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Isabela
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Isla Isabela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Isabela
Photos in Isla IsabelaSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos