"ISLA SANTA CRUZ GALAPAGOS ARCHIPELIGO" Isla Santa Cruz by DennyP
Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 722 photos
SANTA CRUZ ISLAND
Another very interesting island is Santa Cruz or (Indefegatible Island ) named after the British warship the Indefegatible. This is one of the larger of the Islands in the group at just under 1,000 square kilometers in area. This Island of Santa Cruz also boasts the highest human population at Puerto Ayora ,that initself creates its own problems.
One of the most prominent buildings on the Island of Santa Cruz is the Charles Darwin Research Centre..alsolocated here is the Galapagos National Park Service. These two departments play a critical role in the handling of the Galapagos Islands environmental issues.
Like all of the Islands in the group this Island has its share of the unique flora and fauna to be found in the Archipeligo. The large Galapagos tortoise are found here and there are ongoing tortoise breeding programmes where the tortoises when raised are released into the environment.
Cerro Dragon is a lagoon on the Island where many beautiful pink flamingoes walk gently through the waters and can easily be seen and photographed. while walking ,also to be seen are local land Iguanas .Many people also visit this Island to see its famous lava tubes that are located in the highlands of the Island..
Make sure that you venture down to Black Turtle Cove where you will see stingrays in abundance.I couldn't beleive that there were so many togeather...Sharks ,sea turtles and rays use this as a breeding area and there is always lots to see...stand on the waters edge and watch the many sharks zipping by..amazing just how fast they move through the water.
You know it didn't matter where I went or on which Island I visited in this amazing Archipeligo of nature..The unique birdlife , animals and reptiles to be found here is astounding..it isn't any wonder that when Charles Darwin arrived in his ship the "Beagle" he also was astounded at what he found.
- Pros:ANOTHER AMAZING ISLAND EXPERIENCE TO BE ENJOYED HERE
- Cons:REALLY VERY HOT..BUT THATS TO BE EXPECTED
I noticed that when I was standing by the waters edge how clear the water was. Also I noticed the huge amount of rays... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Santa Cruz"
- "Isla Santa Cruz Galapagos"
- "From the beaches to the Highlands"
- "ISLA SANTA CRUZ GALAPAGOS ARCHIPELIGO"
- "The Three aspects of Santa Cruz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Santa Cruz
- Hotels in Isla Santa Cruz
- Transportation in Isla Santa Cruz
- Restaurants in Isla Santa Cruz
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Santa Cruz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Cruz
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Isla Santa Cruz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Santa Cruz
Photos in Isla Santa CruzSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos