"BOROBUDUR NEAR MAGELANG CENTRAL JAVA" Magelang by DennyP
Magelang Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 77 photos
BOROBUDUR ONE OF THE TEN GREAT TEMPLES IN THE WORLD
Forty kilometers by road north west of Yogyakarta in Central Java lies the small Indonesian town Magelang and it is here that you will find the amazing Buddhist Temple of Borobudur.The largest Bhuddist Temple in the world.
.Upon your first site of this amazing eighth century structure is to look in wonder at the size and complexity of this ancient architecturally amazing structure..it was first known to exist when in 1814 when it was reported to Sir Thomas Raffles the then British ruler of the region and first reported it to the outside world...built on six levels this huge stone structure has over 500 buddhist statues along with over three thousand handcarved stone releifs. The top layer of bell type stupas is incredible with so many set out 72 in all in a circular position with a huge one in the middle.
This is one of the largest places for Buddhist pilgrimage and is also the biggest tourist attraction in Indonesia...The day I visited Borobudur there were not that many people on this huge site and as the majority of visitors elect to visit the site early in the morning to see the sunrise I decided that I wanted to see the sunset on the Temple.Unfortuneately this did not happen as a large thunder storm rained very heavily at that time making the photography somewhat different.
This is one of the Top Ten Temples in the World and is a Unesco site.
see my travelogue on other of the 10 Greatest Temples
I must say that I had waited a long time to get to visit this huge Temple along with another closeby (Prambanan)...even with the heavy rain and getting absolutely soaked..this was a great experience to look upon and photograph this amazing structure
I just could not get the whole Temple in the photo frame as it was just too big..
- Pros:This is a structure not to be missed. The greatest bhuddist Temple in the world
- Cons:don't forget your raincoat..
- In a nutshell:I wanted to stay so much longer than I did..
BOROBODUR ..When visiting this amazing site of Borobodur whether it be for a sunrise or a sunset viewing, ALWAYS carry... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Magelang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Magelang Central Java"
- "Tracing Colonial Steps"
- "Magelang, The City Upon The Mountains"
- "BOROBUDUR NEAR MAGELANG CENTRAL JAVA"
- "City near the ancient Boroburdor"
- "Magelang near Borobudur"
- "The town next to Borobudur"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Magelang
- Hotels in Magelang
- Transportation in Magelang
- Restaurants in Magelang
- Warnings and Dangers in Magelang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Magelang
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Magelang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Magelang
Photos in MagelangSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos