"AMARAPURA MYANMAR" Top 5 Page for this destination Amarapura by DennyP
Amarapura Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 165 photos
AMARAPURA : A dozen kilometers south of Mandalay is the town of AMARAPURA.known as the "City of Immortality". This is well worth the visit and you will need most of a day to see the many interesting sights here..starting off with a stop at the Ganayon Kyaung Monastery where hundreds of monks in many different maroon and orange coloured robes line up for breakfast time..This is a huge location and it looked like a huge school for the monks..The location is not far from the bridge..
Another sight that is to be seen in this area of Amarapura is the longest teak timber bridge in the world at 1.2 kilometers long The"U BEINS BRIDGE" is quite a walk to the end and back I had puposely come here late in the afternoon after all day visiting many other local sights and the local town of Taungthaman as I wanted to witness the sunset here that are said to be really spectacular..so, we sat back with a few cold beers by the water and enjoyed watching the sun depart the day...very pleasant indeed. To think that all this teak had been removed from old temples I was amazed...
I decided to hire a small car and driver organised from the hotel (after a good bartering effort) for our day out for the three of us to Amarapura..the day was broken up with a boat ride across the fast flowing IRRAWADDY river ..this in itself was an experience in the local longboat..Once across the only way was by hiring horse and cart with driver for the time there..This exercise included many interesting stops viewing "payas" and Temples..This was an absolutely great day...
- Pros:PLENTY TO SEE AND DO HERE
- Cons:EXTREMELY HOT
- In a nutshell:A LOT LEFT TO SEE AND DO..
MONEY Never travel anywhere here without sufficient cash money as there are no banks in so many places here.No ATM's... more travel advice
THE TEAKWOOD BRIDGE AT AMAPURA I only found this bridge by accident when talking to a German traveller at the monks... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Amarapura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amarapura - Home of U Beins Bridge"
- "It's really a suburb now."
- "AMARAPURA MYANMAR"
- "The Bridge and Unexpected Lessons"
- "THE CITY OF IMMORTALS..."
- "Old City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amarapura
- Hotels in Amarapura
- Transportation in Amarapura
- Restaurants in Amarapura
- Shopping in Amarapura
- Warnings and Dangers in Amarapura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amarapura
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Amarapura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amarapura
Photos in AmarapuraSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos