"BAGAN MYANMAR (BURMA)" Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan by DennyP
Bagan Travel Guide: 325 reviews and 1,348 photos
BURMA is probably one of the most mysterious and inaccesible countries on the planet..and being so ..made this one place that I wanted to visit ...and like everyone else was somewhat apprehensive as to the military situation and travelling there..One doesn't meet many people that have visited Myanmar (Burma) one such person that I had met on one of my train journeys talked of his recent visit advised me that it was easy to obtain a visa for Myanmar..the few that I had spoken to all said "whatever you do you must go to Bagan".so I obtained a visa while in Bangkok..booked a cheap Air Asia flight and I left for Burma..
Bagan's people..( like all of Burma ) are extremely poor and are the most hospitable and friendly people that one would meet anywhere..I had heard that there was no other place like this for ancient Pagodas ,Chedis and Temples anywhere in Asia..as there was a thousand was an understatement..to say the least..I hired a horse and cart for my mode of transport as it was inexpensive as the only other way was hiring a bicycle as some people do..The horse and cart I found was the best way as I realised that it would take so long to cover the many sights.. actually ,I spent two days..and the latter I waited for the sunset to obtain the evenings sunset ambience in my photos..
I arrived in Bagan after a short flight from Rangoon on another very hot and humid day..The temperature was extremely hot everyday that I spent in Bagan and it is absolutely neccesary to always carry at least a litre of water with you..There is a terrific amount of walking entailed while looking at all these major Pagodas and Chedis..Always you will be inundated with children and also adults trying to desperately sell you something..as most of the sites have a mini market set up for the very few tourists that come by..These ancient sites and ruins are the most amazing sites that I have ever seen..and even after some horrific earthquakes that have struck the region and claimed so many hundreds and hundreds of these ancient buildings there are just so many still the mind boggles at the number..
There appears to be some restoration work going on in a few places but could not work out if it was local people volunteering their time or Government backed project I beleive it is the former..The amount of damaged Chedis and Pagodas is evident in many sites also is the evidence of some repair work..I climbed the stairs of a large Pagoda and sat to watch the sunset and was taken by the fact that I was the only person in the isolated vicinity except for my driver..this also bought to mind the fact that I had to climb down the really steep and narrow stairs once the sun had set....not a place to fall and have an accident...my driver.. I must say waited patiently for me while I took my photos..
- Pros:THIS COULD BE A WONDER OF THE WORLD
- Cons:NOT ENOUGH TIME
- In a nutshell:THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING PLACES
MYANMAR (BURMA) .. Like all of South east asia Beware of snakes when "out and about". Burma has one of the biggest... more travel advice
BAGAN. Upon arriving at the many sites there are to visit in Bagan be prepared to be overwhelmed by vendors...These... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Bagan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagan - the fabulous fairyland"
- "Historical wonderland."
- "The enchanting Bagan"
- "BAGAN MYANMAR (BURMA)"
- "Bagan - indescribable!!"
- "Temples of Bagan - Field of Dreams"
- "Sueño de un Rey-A King Dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bagan
- Hotels in Bagan
- Transportation in Bagan
- Nightlife in Bagan
- Restaurants in Bagan
- Shopping in Bagan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bagan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bagan
- 17 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bagan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bagan
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Second hand shop for clothes"
- Commented on one of DennyP's Bagan travel pages
- Wrote a Review ALWAYS BEWARE OF SNAKES IN BURMA!! in Bagan Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "ALWAYS BEWARE OF SNAKES IN BURMA!!"
- updated a Bagan Travel Page "BAGAN MYANMAR (BURMA)"
Photos in BaganSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos