"INLE LAKE BURMA" Top 5 Page for this destination Inle Lake by DennyP
Inle Lake Travel Guide: 211 reviews and 595 photos
While staying in the popular village of Nyaungschwe I decided ,along with five other travellers staying at the same guesthouse that we would hire a longboat between the six of us for a day on the lake to see the many things and sights that it offered ...because we were six the cost was a minimum one of some US$ 7.00 dollars each for the whole day..The boatman organised the boat with six comfortable chairs and each of us was given an umbrella as the weather didn't look to good...we were two French one Swiss two German and one Australian...international mix eh!..This trip on the lake definately is a must when here at Lake Inle..
Once we were aboard the boatman headed up the swiftly flowing red coloured river out onto the lake ...and after about 10 kilometers we were out of the red river and the water had quickly changed to green..also once out of the river all of a sudden there is the huge expanse of the Lake with its many areas of floating gardens.....it reminded me much of the huge expanse of area much like Titicaca in Peru.
These boats are exceptionally fast and as with many others on the river and lake being used in so many ways..as this is the only form of transport on the lake.some are loaded down with baskets or many different loads of produce for the markets .. others are just used for fishing or ferrying people up and down the lake it is an extremely busy with so many boats coming and going.There are distance markers every kilometer on the river and out on the lake...The floating villages here are really something to see ...The huts are of bamboo construction and easy to see why they all suffered so badly after the monsoon cylone recently..there is such a huge ammount of different canals and river roads I'm sure it would be easy to get lost amongst its maze. A wonderful thing to watch are the fishermen who have an art of rowing with one leg while standing fishing..This is done by wrapping one leg around the other with the oar..(see photo)
The markets here are wonderful but require a lot of walking to reach..but well worth the effort..many different tribes people come down from the surrounding mountains to these markets to buy and sell their goods...some wonderful sights to see..many different local arts and craft for sale..This was only one of the many places that we stopped during the day on the lake ..
The market was extremely busy with just so many different people going about their buisiness of buying and selling..The day was overcast and light rain was falling but did not appear to be bothering anyone..
The day was long and varied as we visited many different sites on the lake as they try and promote the travellers to purchase the different items..we stopped at a little floating factory where it was possible to watch the process of the goods being made with women spinning the different coloured yarn This is a wonderful place to buy fine cloth and different made clothing ie: scarves and shawls silk ties and just wonderfully made items..Then a visit to the shop if you wanted to purchase..another stop was a silversmiths making fine jewelry..a blacksmiths shop making all types of axes knives machetes and implements..also a welcomed stop was a fine restaurant for lunch..Then something different with a visit to a monastry where a monk was famous for his jumping cats..
- Pros:not enough time
- Cons:cold on the lake in the rain
- In a nutshell:a must see when in Burma..
GIFTS FOR KIDS Before leaving for Myanmar (burma) I stopped by a supermarket in Bangkok and purchased a bunch of pens... more travel advice
BURMA Anywhere here in the tropics the temperatures can be excessive especially here in Burma. The days are incredibly... more travel advice
DennyP's Related Pages
Inle Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Inle Lake - Land of the magical leg rowers"
- "Inle lake - a surreal, photographer's delight"
- "Lago Inle"
- "INLE LAKE BURMA"
- "Inle Beauty"
- "Beautiful Inle Lake"
- "Make Inle Lake Your Last Stop in Burma"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Inle Lake
- Hotels in Inle Lake
- Transportation in Inle Lake
- Nightlife in Inle Lake
- Restaurants in Inle Lake
- Shopping in Inle Lake
- Warnings and Dangers in Inle Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Inle Lake
- 8 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Inle Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Inle Lake
- updated a Inle Lake Travel Page "INLE LAKE BURMA"
- Commented on one of DennyP's Inle Lake travel pages
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Second hand shop for clothes"
- Wrote a Review BRING SOMETHING WITH YOU FOR THE CHILDREN in Inle Lake Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "BRING SOMETHING WITH YOU FOR THE CHILDREN"
Photos in Inle LakeSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos