Mandalay Things to Do Tips by DennyP
Mandalay Things to Do: 121 reviews and 325 photos
ABOY FLYING A VERY LARGE BUG ON A PIECE OF STRING
..The day that I arrived in Mandalay I had to pinch myself. I thought !Mandalay.!..I'm here, I never would have beleived that I would one day be here!!.How lucky am I...To read about this city in many books and its wartime notoriety.To be here sometime in my life was a long distant dream.
Before I left for ( Burma) I shopped at the supermarket in Bangkok and purchased some small items that I could give to the children. These were simple items as far as I was concerened , but precious when you can't get one!.. These were Pens , coloured pencils, note pads, little colouring books etc. These I found to be very rewarding as the children would be so pleased to receive such gifts that their parents usually couild not afford.Thier smiles of joy were wonderful upon receiving such things.
I always made sure that the childrens parents were present whenever I gave these items to any of the children.
THE VIEW FROM THE TOP OF MANDALAY HILL
A good experience while in Mandalay is a visit to the top of Mandalay Hill..at nearly two hundred and fifty meters the view out over the Palace and the Shan Hills is worth the effort..I parked my bicycle at the bottom for a small fee ..also good security..I took a shared taxi to the top and walked back down..
Directions: Northeast of "downtown" and almost due North of the palace complex.
%cbWATER ON THE BOIL FOR TEA %cb
Most of my food while travelling throughout Asia is/was street food..There are just so many different things to eat and usually very cheap...IMPORTANTLY though sensible rules apply and be very careful what you eat..mostly water that has been boiled is the way to go..soups noodles and the like..While here in Mandalay I used to stop and have a nice cup of herbal tea and a chat with the locals....always the friendliness here is evident ...a cup only costs pennies..leave a little extra ..."these people do it tuff"
Always if things don't look too good buy some fruit with a skin to peel...you can't go wrong with that..
Address: FOUND IN THE STREET MARKETS
LOTS TO SEE AND DO HERE..A BIKE IS THE WAY..
While staying at the ET Hotel I decided to hire one of the bicycles that they have there for hire...This is just a great way to get around the back streets and see the things that you like..The propietors of the Hotel will help with directions..Make sure that you have a wide brimmed hat if it is a really hot day...ALSO BE CAREFUL *the traffic can be chaotic..
HIRING FEES ARE A COUPLE OF DOLLARS ONLY FOR THE DAY..
Address: ET HOTEL:#129(A) 83rd St.,bet.23rd &24th Sts.
More Reviews (7)
- WHEN FLYING IN ALWAYS TRY AND SHARE A...
- GETTING TO MANDALAY BY AIR FROM BAGAN
- See All MAKE SURE THAT YOUR FINANCES ARE COVERED
DennyP's Related Pages
Mandalay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mandalay y las ciudades antiguas"
- "My Road to Mandalay"
- "Second city but not second best."
- "Mandalay- a place of underlying contrasts"
- "Sunset at U Bein Bridge, Amarapura, Mandalay (1)"
- "Quite an experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mandalay
- Hotels in Mandalay
- Transportation in Mandalay
- Nightlife in Mandalay
- Restaurants in Mandalay
- Shopping in Mandalay
- Warnings and Dangers in Mandalay
- See All...
Explore the World
- Vrachonisida Makronisi Hotels
- Eindhoven Hotels
- Strawberry Hotels
- Dalmatia - Sibenik Region Hotels
- Three Rivers
- Markt Bibart
- Primorskiy Kray
- Novosibirskaya Oblast'
Badges & Stats in Mandalay
- 11 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Mandalay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mandalay
Photos in MandalaySee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos
Latest Mandalay hotel reviews
- Peacock Lodge
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Rupar Mandalar Resort
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Royal Guest House
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Treasure Hotel Mandalay
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Mandalay Swan Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Nadi Myanmar Hotel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel By The Red Canal, Mandalay
- 377 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Mandalay Hill Resort
- 306 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Royal City Hotel
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Mandalay City Hotel
- 190 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Mandalay Hill- 16 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Shwenandaw Kyaung (Teak Temple)- 13 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Amarapura / U Bein bridge- 7 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Palace Complex / Fort- 10 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Kuthodaw Paya- 10 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Mahamuni (Big) Paya- 8 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Sandamani (Sanda Muni) Paya- 6 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Zeigyo (Central Market)- 2 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Mingun Paya- 4 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Jade Market- 1 Reviews, 3 Photos
See All Mandalay Things to Do