"AYR & AYRSHIRE" Top 5 Page for this destination Ayr by hevbell
Ayr Travel Guide: 160 reviews and 258 photos
This is the area in which I was born and have grown up. It wasn't until I travelled in other countries that I realised how lucky I was to be living here and began to appreciate the area. We have gorgeous rolling countryside as opposed to the never ending flatness of the Benelux countries and we also have a lovely coastline. This part of Scotland is often overlooked a bit tourist wise (along with the Borders on the East coast) in favour of the Highlands and Edinburgh and Glasgow. Ayrshire is south of Glasgow along the Clyde coast.
The town of Ayr itself is my nearest "big town" and although not spectacular, it IS a great base to explore the area. Its been a popular seaside resort [particularly with Glaswegians] since Victorian times and is also known for its racecourse [see sports tips] and the areas association with the poet Robert Burns.
This picture is looking down the High Street towards Wallace's Tower. This is believed to be situated on the site of a medieval tower where William Wallace was once imprisoned and then escaped from. Its 113 feet and was built in 1828.
The area around the town of Ayr is known as Ayrshire. Its worth getting out of the town and exploring some of the countryside and smaller towns and villages. A lot of this page is about places in Ayrshire rather than in town, particularly the off the beaten path tips
I have to say my favourite place in the area is Culzean Country Park near Maidens, where I took this picture. Its a beautiful place for a walk :)
If you are driving and hit some of the single track country roads, you'll find that they tend to have regular passing... more travel advice
Not far from Oswald House there is a walled garden that has some nice areas to wander around. Its not the easiest place... more travel advice
- See All Newmilns Dry Ski Slope
- See All ELLIOTS
- See All RAbbie Burns
- See All SONNY BEAN
hevbell's Related Pages
Ayr Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AYR & AYRSHIRE"
- "Ayr, Scotland"
- "on the road again"
- "More than Robert Burns"
- "Exploring Ayrshire in Scotland"
- "Beach Life Scottish Style"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayr
- Hotels in Ayr
- Transportation in Ayr
- Nightlife in Ayr
- Restaurants in Ayr
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayr
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ayr
- 74 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Ayr?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayr
Photos in AyrSee All Photos (118)
Top 10 Pages
- Stockholm Intro, 57 reviews, 172 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayr Intro, 74 reviews, 118 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 58 reviews, 108 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 59 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 46 reviews, 116 photos, 6 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 60 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maidens Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 43 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 42 reviews, 68 photos