"Beautiful Oban" Top 5 Page for this destination Oban by hevbell

Oban Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 380 photos

A couple of summers ago I decided on a short driving holiday around the north of Scotland. Oban was my first overnight stop on the trip. I'd been there once when I was a kid but barely remembered it. However on arriving in Oban in the pouring rain I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. Its a picturesque harbour town with fabulous views over the nearby islands... Just look at the beautiful sunset I enjoyed on my second night there!

Its a beautiful seaside town on the west coast of Scotland. The drive there from Loch Lomond would, I'm certain, have been through some pretty spectacular scenery had it not been pouring with rain that particular day. But I fell in love with Oban even in the rain. It only got better in dry weather!

May 2003 - I recently returned to Oban for a short stay and visited more places round about - on the way there and on the way home, including a day trip to the nearby island of Mull. Oban is a great place to base yourself to explore this whole area and all the tips I am adding from this most recent trip are within easy day trip
distance.

Oban was once at the heart of the 5th Century kingdom of Lorn. Lorn was a legendary Irish celt who later went on to help establish the early Scottish kingdom of Dalriada. You can still see ancient sites from this time at Kilmartin Glen [see my off the beaten path tips]

• In a nutshell:Gateway to the Isles
  • Last visit to Oban: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2003

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Good stuff Heather!! And thanks for the tips!...I have saved stacks!! Had a chuckle at the names...like Loch Awe & Killnmartin haha :o) We definately have to visit those!! Cheers, Ann.

• LaineBelle's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2006 at 6:54 PM

One of the BEST whiskys!!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2005 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for visiting my Dumfries and Galloway pages. Just spotted you've "done" Seil Island and around Kilmartin. We have visited these areas and pages will be written , eventually.

• Jan 11, 2005 at 7:00 PM

This little castle ruin is more substantial and alive in winter! Transformed by the green moss that covers it, it is imposing among the bare trees

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2005 at 11:18 AM

I'm planning a Scotland tour this year and certainly want to visit Oban -- thanks for all the information, great page.

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2004 at 12:53 PM

The only thing about Oban I knew before your page was the whiskey ... and the scottish weather, which seems to be the same as in the rest of scottland! Really like your pages! Great tips and pictures.

• harmonyk's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2004 at 12:31 PM

I'm touring Scotland in September - your info has helped me a lot - thanks

• LizD's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 1:37 PM

I must visit scotland and soon after seeing your pages

• SilverVelvet's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2004 at 1:45 PM

Such a joy to rediscover your beautiful Oban page. I hope to visit in August.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 4:47 PM

great infos and lovely pics, Heather ! ...Oban is not my favorite place in Scotland, as I once had the most terrible trafic jam there, but the coast-road, the Atlantic bridge and Seil are very nice memories !

hevbell

“Smile- its the curved line that sets things straight”

Badges & Stats in Oban