"Beautiful Oban" Top 5 Page for this destination Oban by hevbell
Oban Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 387 photos
A couple of summers ago I decided on a short driving holiday around the north of Scotland. Oban was my first overnight stop on the trip. I'd been there once when I was a kid but barely remembered it. However on arriving in Oban in the pouring rain I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. Its a picturesque harbour town with fabulous views over the nearby islands... Just look at the beautiful sunset I enjoyed on my second night there!
Its a beautiful seaside town on the west coast of Scotland. The drive there from Loch Lomond would, I'm certain, have been through some pretty spectacular scenery had it not been pouring with rain that particular day. But I fell in love with Oban even in the rain. It only got better in dry weather!
May 2003 - I recently returned to Oban for a short stay and visited more places round about - on the way there and on the way home, including a day trip to the nearby island of Mull. Oban is a great place to base yourself to explore this whole area and all the tips I am adding from this most recent trip are within easy day trip
Oban was once at the heart of the 5th Century kingdom of Lorn. Lorn was a legendary Irish celt who later went on to help establish the early Scottish kingdom of Dalriada. You can still see ancient sites from this time at Kilmartin Glen [see my off the beaten path tips]
- In a nutshell:Gateway to the Isles
These are some standing stones near the car park before you reach Temple Wood Stone circle and the Nether Largie group... more travel advice
Furthest south of the sites located around Kilmartin Glen is the iron age fort of Dunadd. Although there is little to be... more travel advice
hevbell's Related Pages
Oban Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Oban"
- "Capital of the West Highlands"
- "My Home"
- "Oban and Surroundings"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oban
- Hotels in Oban
- Transportation in Oban
- Nightlife in Oban
- Restaurants in Oban
- Shopping in Oban
- Warnings and Dangers in Oban
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oban
- 27 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Oban?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oban
Top 10 Pages
- Stockholm Intro, 57 reviews, 172 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayr Intro, 74 reviews, 118 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glasgow Intro, 51 reviews, 139 photos, 8 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 59 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 59 reviews, 103 photos
- Scotland Intro, 60 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 46 reviews, 89 photos, 3 travelogues
- Maidens Intro, 36 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 42 reviews, 68 photos