"HISTORIC STIRLING" Top 5 Page for this destination Stirling by hevbell

Stirling Travel Guide: 255 reviews and 787 photos

I had been to Stirling a few times when I was younger but have spent more time exploring on 2 long weekends there, the most recent in September 2010

Although its really just a town it was awarded city status in 2002 for the Queens Golden Jubilee due to its importance in Scottish history. To many people Stirling is the place where "Braveheart" was filmed. It actually wasn't but it WAS the place where William Wallace defeated the English at the Battle of Stirling Bridge and is also surrounded by numerous other battefields - all overlooked by a magnificent castle, one of the most important in Scotland.

I have to say that I really love enjoyed my time there and feel I got to know the city a lot better than on my previous visits!

• Pros:Lots of history, gateway to the highlands, lovely views
  • Cons:"Braveheart" led tourists
  • Last visit to Stirling: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 19, 2011

• husain's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2006 at 10:47 PM

Great page. I remember the Wallace monument statue with a big barricade around it, when i visited. Good to see here that the chains around the icon of Scottish freedom have finally disappeared!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 9:49 AM

Wonderful page on the city of Stirling. Nice pics and tips to boot. : )

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2005 at 1:09 AM

Stirling is lovely, isn't it? Must go back there to see more now that I have seen your page.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2005 at 3:25 AM

So much history! Beautiful page Heather! Stirling, its castle and surrounding area look wonderful! A place I would love to visit! Hahaha, fun pineapple building! :-))

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2004 at 9:28 AM

Looks like a lovely place to visit! Hope It can be seen on a daytrip from Edinburgh!

• SilverVelvet's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2004 at 1:55 PM

A great pinapple and another great page. :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2004 at 5:53 PM

great infos and wonderful pics ! Stirling and E'burg are my favorite places in Scotland besides the Highlands ! what a pity I missed the funny pinapple-house :-(

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2004 at 3:59 AM

felt luccky on this friday the 13th to bump onto william wallace historic batlegrounds...! long time favorite movie...! lovely pics heather!

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2003 at 10:49 PM

Nice page Heather!!! Love seeing all those gorgeous scenery shots of yours. :)

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2003 at 4:33 AM

I was too early for the Mel G statue...! Great page on great town :-)

hevbell

“Smile- its the curved line that sets things straight”

Badges & Stats in Stirling

Have you been to Stirling?

Latest Activity in Stirling