"DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY" Top 5 Page for this destination Dumfries and Galloway by hevbell

Dumfries and Galloway Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 810 photos

SURPRISING SOUTH WEST

The region of Dumfries & Galloway is in the south west of Scotland, next to the English border. It was my home for 5 years when I was a kid as we lived in the small village of Sanquhar. I have made trips to various parts of the region since then though and it does cover quite an area. It has over 200 miles of coastline and the large expanse of Galloway Forest park, not to mention many interesting towns and villages.

The tourist board bill this area as "Scotlands Surprising South West" as people tend to wrongly assume all of Scotlands beautiful scenery is confined to the Highlands.

• Pros:fabulous scenery, plenty history & not too many tourists
  • In a nutshell:it IS the surprising south west!
  • Last visit to Dumfries and Galloway: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 18, 2003

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2006 at 10:00 AM

Yes, this is really an overlooked part of Scotland! :)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2005 at 2:42 AM

Thank goodness someone has shared this lovely area with us!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2005 at 8:53 AM

Ahhh, Dunskey Castle. Spent a couple of holidays on the campsite next to it in the mid 90's. We were able to look round it then. It's in quite a precarious location!!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2004 at 1:49 PM

a great overview of an area I did not yet explore very well myself, as I am always mainly heading for the highlands & islands of Scotland :-( ...maybe next time !

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2004 at 4:21 AM

-my name is vitor and i'm a "scotlandaholic"... yep! i can imagine miself starting speech in a scotland lovin( and glued ) beauty... DEFINITLY!...

• prleprle's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2004 at 11:57 AM

Really very beautifull region! Well presented with fine photos.

• egonwegh's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2004 at 2:04 AM

That's odd: Bruce's Stone resembles this stone, commemorating the Battle of Warns (1345) in the Netherlands: virtualtourist.com/m/tt/bb62...

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2003 at 12:57 PM

Great page about the 'surprising south west' Heather! It looks like a wonderful area to visit! I wish I knew VT and your pages before I went to Scotland, I certainly would have tried to go here as well!

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2003 at 1:30 AM

Hope you're no' awa' tae bide awa'!

• Jun 25, 2003 at 1:19 AM

Excellant page..beautiful phtographs..neat narration..wealth of information and nice tips..extremly useful..waiting for some descriptions along side of new ones

hevbell

“Smile- its the curved line that sets things straight”

Badges & Stats in Dumfries and Galloway

Have you been to Dumfries and Galloway?

Latest Activity in Dumfries and Galloway