"The Garden City of Malaysia" Putrajaya by Chuckaziz
Putrajaya Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 369 photos
1. How It Began
Kuala Lumpur was bursting at the seams when the Federal Government decided to look for a new Administrative Centre to house all the Ministries and Departments. Various sites were identified but in June 1993 Prang Besar district of Selangor state was choosen. Moving the national administrative machinery from Kuala Lumpur is to allow the Government to operate under one roof and therefore improve the public delivery system.
The 'push factor' behind the idea is the former Prime Minister, Tun Mahathir Mohammed. Putrajaya is designed to provide a comfortable and quality lifestyle for its residents. The entire concept is based on sustainable development and liveable environment with greenery, botanical gardens and parks spread across the landscapes. The large bodies of water and wetlands are designed to complement that balance. Residential areas are supported by commercial hubs and public amenities to provide a liveable environment. The project was launched in October 1995 and named Putrajaya after Malaysia's first prime minister, YTM Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj. Putrajaya is one of the two "intelligent" cities under the Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) project, the other being Cyberjaya which is just west of the township. Officially, the project was completed and handed over to the Federal Government in 1999 by the master developer, Putrajaya Holdings. From drawing board to construction, the place was transformed from an oil palm plantation to a modern and well planned city in just three years
2. Quick Facts:
1. Land area: 4,931 hectares (one third the size of KL).
2. The area is divided into 20 precincts.
3. Population is about 75,000.
4. The KLIA Transit is the fastest mode of transport between KL/Putrajaya and KLIA/Putrajaya.
5. Maju Expressway (MEX) is the dedicated highway linking Putrajaya and KL (travel time is about 35 minutes).
6. Other major highways are the North-South Expressway, ELITE Highway and Kajang Silk Expressway.
7. KL is 42km to the North
8. KLIA/LCCT is 26km to the South
9. Two major hotels are the Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside at Precinct 5 and Putrajaya Shangri-La at Precinct 1.
10. Main attractions are the Wetlands, Bridges of different design and the Lake.
I hope the brief introduction of Putrajaya will be of help when you are planning your visit to Malaysia. Of course, this virtual visit is noting like being here yourself. So, put Putrajaya in your itinerary when you are visiting the Klang Valley. Below are the short write-ups on the Putrajaya Wetlands and Lake that I put together for your reading pleasure:
The wetland and the surrounding parkland play an important role in the natural control of siltation, pollution and the ecological system of the lake. The wetland is able to filter water naturally before being discharged into the lake. Thus, the water quality of the Putrajaya lake allows for body contact sports such as kayaking and canoeing.
There are several facilities at the wetland such as a Nature Interpretation Centre, a Look-out Tower and jungle tracks. The Look-out Tower which is about 18 meters in height is the landmark of the wetlands. Visitors can spend many hours enjoying the panoramic views of the Wetlands.
The lake is designed to be a water catchment area for Putrajaya. It is now home for many species of birds. Some are migratory.
The lake too provides habitats for various aquatic and fauna which attracts migratory birds to the area. Some of the species of birds that could be found here include the Pink-backed pelican and the white pelican from Africa, the Canadian goose from North America, Canada through Alaska and on the eastern shores of Siberia, the Egyptian goose found in Nile Valley and along East and South Mediterranean and the Black swan normally found in New Zealand and Australia.
Please follow this trail for more on Putrajaya Wetlands and Parkland.
The city is trying to make the "park-n-ride" system a success. Visitors to Putrajaya can park their cars at the car... more travel advice
Name of Bridge : Seri Wawasan General Description : Provides main link between Precinct 2 to the Core Island and the... more travel advice
Chuckaziz's Related Pages
Putrajaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Administrative Capital of Malaysia"
- "PUTRAJAYA - government administration centre"
- "Putrajaya Malaysia"
- "A New Federal Teritory...PUTRAJAYA"
- "THE PRINCE AS IT IS!!!!"
- "Putrajaya - New Capital"
- "The path to the new city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Putrajaya
- Hotels in Putrajaya
- Transportation in Putrajaya
- Nightlife in Putrajaya
- Restaurants in Putrajaya
- Shopping in Putrajaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Putrajaya
- 5 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Putrajaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Putrajaya
Photos in PutrajayaSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 24 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 53 photos, 7 travelogues
- Putrajaya Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Vientiane Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos
- Ipoh Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Kuching Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Bicester Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos