"Ahuachapán – Gateway to El Salvador" Departamento de Ahuachapán by thelukey
Departamento de Ahuachapán Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 242 photos
The westernmost department of Ahuachapán is home to a rather large number of established and potential tourist attractions. Flower Route towns Apaneca and Concepción de Ataco enjoy what may very well be the coolest climate in all of El Salvador. The former also boasts some excellent restaurants, while the latter is home to one of the best arts/crafts shops in the whole country. Atiquizaya is home to an interesting collection of sculptures made mostly from scrap metal. The village of Tacuba is said to be an attractive mountain getaway. Many visitors leave the Parque Nacional El Imposible convinced that it is the best forest preserve in the country. Attractions on the coast include the beaches and mangrove swamps at Barra de Santiago and some ruins at Cara Sucia. The departmental capital isn’t home to any tourist attractions per se, but it is a relatively pleasant and relaxing city. The Laguna El Espino and many geysers are located nearby. This picture was taken at the Casa de la Cultura in Ahuachapán, an institution that is definitely worth a visit if you happen to be in town.
Two nice lazy parks define the limits of downtown Ahuachapán; both the main plaza, located in front of the city’s cathedral, and its northern counterpart, situated alongside the municipal market, are good places to sit on a bench with the beverage of your choice and watch the rhythms of Salvadoran life play out in front of your eyes.
I might not recommend jumping in, but the Laguna El Espino west of Ahuachapán makes a nice backdrop for a decent lunch, available at a number of shorefront establishments. Take a 263 bus or an 11-AH microbus from Ahuachapán to get there.
- Pros:mountains, beaches, crafts, safe towns
- Cons:too bad most of the rest of El Salvador isn't more like Ahuachapán
- In a nutshell:El Salvador at its best
thelukey's Related Pages
Departamento de Ahuachapán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ahuachapán – Gateway to El Salvador"
- Create a Departamento de Ahuachapán Travel Page
- Things to Do in Departamento de Ahuachapán
- Hotels in Departamento de Ahuachapán
- Transportation in Departamento de Ahuachapán
- Restaurants in Departamento de Ahuachapán
- Shopping in Departamento de Ahuachapán
- Warnings and Dangers in Departamento de Ahuachapán
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Departamento de Ahuachapán
- 0 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Departamento de Ahuachapán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Departamento de Ahuachapán
Photos in Departamento de AhuachapánSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- La Laguna Intro, 62 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador Intro, 48 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nicaragua Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guatemala City Intro, 6 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Salvador Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honduras Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ecuador Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- France Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Colombia Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos