"4 Years, 9 Months, and 24 Days in El Salvador" Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador by thelukey

El Salvador Travel Guide: 757 reviews and 2,221 photos

Once upon a time, roughly 3.5 years into the nearly 5 years that I spent living in El Salvador, I briefly toyed with the idea of writing a guidebook to El Salvador, since the only country-specific book available at that time was out-of-date, frequently inaccurate, and woefully incomplete. However, after a few fact-finding missions, I decided that someone else would have to come along and write the definitive El Salvador guidebook. I’ll be content to limit myself to using this page (which is still far from complete) to get the word out about some of my favorite destinations in the “Magic Corner” of Central America, places such as the popular surfer’s beach at El Sunzal, west of the port of La Libertad (pictured above).

The El Rosario church is without a doubt my favorite place in all of San Salvador. From the outside it looks like a big, dingy gray tire set on its edge and sunk into the earth, but the light that enters through the stained glass patterns that adorn three sides of the church makes the interior a unique, mystical, enchanting respite from the noise and bus fumes outside.

• Pros:nice beaches, extremely friendly and generous people, volcanoes, and few tourists
  • In a nutshell:Central America at its most authentic
  • Last visit to El Salvador: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2011

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Fine pages here. Thanks.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Excellent tips, they are very usful!There are many places I want to visit in El Salvador, but I will only be there for about 10 days.

• FranciscoV's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 8:07 AM

Obviously the tamales you were used to eat were not made the right way or the people that made them did not know how to, maybe I can have my mother send you some so you will try the real ones.

• RoqueMocan's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 1:02 AM

In your pupusas story you ask us to stop and try to name a famous salvadorean... (thinking...) What about model Christy Turlington? Ok, Ok, this is only 50% (or less) true, as only her mother is from El Salvador and she was not born here!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 6:28 AM

Nice to know that tourism is recognized as a money making enterprise and steps have been made to accomodate it. I don't use them, but goverment concern does promote safety. nice comments& photos, thanks for the info

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2005 at 4:58 AM

Nice page. I hope to get there in Oct.

• quime's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 2:57 PM

Great page for El Salvador, sorry i missed the San Rosario Church.

thelukey Used To Live Here!

thelukey

“Eamus catuli.”

Badges & Stats in El Salvador

Have you been to El Salvador?

Friends