"Thelukey’s New San Salvador Page" San Salvador by thelukey
San Salvador Travel Guide: 156 reviews and 418 photos
It’s not very likely that San Salvador will ever make anyone’s list of the world’s must-see cities. The air pollution alone is enough to make many travelers decide to get in and out of the city as fast as possible, while others are discouraged from visiting at all by San Salvador’s reputation for violent crime. Those who do stay in town for a while tend to conclude that the city is less than enthralling, but it’s also far from being completely unpleasant, and far less dangerous than advertised (assuming you’re wise about picking when and where you plan to be out and about). I hope this page will help future visitors make the best of their stay in San Salvador. On top of my personal list of the enjoyable things to do in and around San Salvador is a visit to the Parque Botánico “La Laguna” in Antiguo Cuscatlán (the San Salvador suburb that is also home to the US Embassy).
Although the diesel fumes, the unrelenting traffic, the ever-present heat, and the city’s army of informal vendors can make a trip to the center of San Salvador into something of an ordeal for people who place a high value on personal space, a quick visit (preferably in the morning, when the area is less crowded and less edgy) is warranted in order to check out the main cathedral (pictured to the left), the Iglesia El Rosario, and the Mercado Ex-Cuartel (the country’s largest, but not necessarily nicest, souvenir market).
As the country’s main population center, San Salvador is the best place in the country for fine dining, nightlife, the arts, museums, and shopping, and it is home to the country’s largest celebrations
When my then-teenaged niece, a notoriously picky eater, came from the US to visit me in El Salvador for three weeks, one... more travel advice
San Salvador is blessed with not one but two of the nicest soccer stadiums in Central America – the Estadio Jorge “El... more travel advice
thelukey's Related Pages
San Salvador Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Salvador - Capital of El Salvador"
- "SAN SALVADOR"
- "San Salvador is OK"
- "San Salvador Page"
- "Thelukey’s New San Salvador Page"
- "El Salvador"
- "My home city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Salvador
- Hotels in San Salvador
- Transportation in San Salvador
- Nightlife in San Salvador
- Restaurants in San Salvador
- Shopping in San Salvador
- Warnings and Dangers in San Salvador
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Salvador
- 7 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to San Salvador?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Salvador
Photos in San SalvadorSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- La Laguna Intro, 62 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination El Salvador Intro, 48 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Intro, 23 reviews, 85 photos, 3 travelogues
- Nicaragua Intro, 26 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guatemala City Intro, 6 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Salvador Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honduras Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ecuador Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- France Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Colombia Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos