"Alcochete - My Kind of town!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Alcochete by jorgec25

Alcochete Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 152 photos

The Town

Alcochete is the town where i live. Its a small town on the south river bank of the Tagus, very quiet and with an easy going spirit. It's famous for its restaurants and for its annual town festivity - "Festas do Barrete Verde e das Salinas". Alcochete is also famous for the Vasco da Gama Bridge, that connects this side of the river with Lisbon and also for its nearby Outlet Freeport, the largest in Europe (or so they say).

The Countryside

A significant part of Alcochete is still occupied by agricultural fields and by the Samouco Salinas. Even though they don't produce salt anymore they still provide some beautiful views. Just Outside Alcochete we can find the natural reserve of the river Tagus, the most extense wet zone of the country.

The Beach

And yes, Alcochete also has a river beach, called "Praia dos Moinhos". Even though the River is not fit to bathe, we can take advantage of the severel kms of sand and shore line for a walk, for jogging or just for laying in the sun.

• Intro Updated Nov 20, 2008

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2014 at 3:18 AM

I am looking forward to meeting you here. The Tavern looks my sort of place. It looks good a night too. I am staying in the Oasis Hostel in Baixa Chiado area of Lisbon.

• jorgec25's Profile Photo
      Jan 27, 2014 at 3:45 AM

We will be going to Don Peixe. It serves the typical food from the south side of the river Tagus (several kinds of grilled fish and seafood) and it pretty much became the official VT Meetings restaurant in Alcochete lol

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo
      Jan 31, 2014 at 2:41 AM

I am looking forward to meeting you & the Portuguese VT members in Alcochete next week. Have a great week end

• trazom27156's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2013 at 4:56 AM

I may go there next year, so I may look for some advice from you!! :D

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2010 at 5:11 AM

It's not my fault Alcochete is so nice and picturesque :)

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2010 at 4:50 AM

You are lucky to live in so nice town Is Amalia Rodriguez from Alcochete ? Thank you for the information Obrigado !!!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM

this looks like a super nice place. i really hope i will be able to join you for the meeting there.

• viajeras2's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Wow nice sunset!

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Carlos, Alcochete looks very appealing and sounds far enough away from Lisboa, no wonder you love it. Great fotos too.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Very nice page! Ciao!

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 6:42 AM

Quiet homecity, I wish I stay too close to water front and in a smaller city :)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Hello! I very much enjoy reading about somebody's home town here on VT, and your page was nice, especially the beautiful photos! I love Portugal, but this year I will first travel to Scotland again :-) Greetings / Jess

jorgec25 Lives Here!

jorgec25

“So much to Visit and so little Time!”

Badges & Stats in Alcochete

Have you been to Alcochete?

Latest Activity in Alcochete