"UNITED KINGDOM" United Kingdom by hopang
United Kingdom Travel Guide: 98,603 reviews and 243,671 photos
United Kingdom or Britain is located off the north-eastern part of continental Europe. It is an island country consisting of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Island. Its capital is London which is also its seat of government. United Kingdom is a member of European Union (EU), G8 as well as NATO. English is its official language. Approximately 84% of the population are English. United Kingdom has a population of approximately 61 million inhabitants. Its total area is approximately 245,000 square kilometres.
The following are two of our favourite tourist attractions in the United Kingdom:-
The Natural History Museum is housed in an impressive Victorian architectural building near Exhibition Road in South Kensington in the heart of the city of London. The museum was established in 1881. The impressive building was designed by Alfred Waterhouse and is certainly one of the prominent landmarks in the city of London. The Natural History Museum is the most visited museum in London and has been one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city! The museum is also one of the most famous museums in the world! It attracts approximately four millions visitors every year.
The Natural History Museum has a collection of approximately 65 millions items ranging from plants and animals to minerals. It is divided into five main collections, i.e. Botany, Mineralogy, Entomology, Palaeontology and Zoology. Admission to the museum is free. Opening hours are between 8.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. during the weekdays and between 9.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. during weekends. You may view more lovely pictures of the collections in the museum at our traveloques below!
The Palace of Holyroodhouse is one of the top tourist attractions in the city of Edinburgh. This Palace is an official residence of the Queen and the royal family in Scotland. The Queen stays in the Palace approximately one week per year usually during the summer months. The Palace of Holyroodhouse has been the official residence of the royal family since the 17th century although it has history that dates back to the 12th century. The current well preserved and maintained Palace was designed by Sir William Bruce and was constructed in the middle of the 17th century. The 3 storey baroque style Palace measures approximately 70 meters long and 70 meters wide.
Visitors can have an interesting audio tour inside the Palace which consists of 14 Historic and State Apartments. A full audio tour takes approximately 1 to 2 hours. Historic Apartments were used by Kings and Queens since the beginning of the 16th century, some of them used by Mary Queen of Scots. State Apartments are used by the current royal family for ceremonies and entertainment purposes. The Palace certainly has lots of history and you really learned a lot from here. We thouroughly enjoyed this audio tour.
Opening hours to the Palace of Holyroodhouse are between 9.30 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. daily during the summer months with shorter opening hours during the winter months. Admission fees are £11.30 for adults and £10.30 for students and seniors. However you can purchase Royal Edinburgh tickets which also include entrance to Edinburgh Castle and Royal Yacht Britannia. Unfortunately photography and video recording are not allowed inside the Historic and State Apartments.
Don't miss the delicious complementary Crown short bread at Café at the Palace just after the tour exit when you produce your hop-on-hop-off bus tickets or your Royal Edinburgh tiickets. For more information about visiting the Palace of Holyroodhouse you may write to the following e-mail address:- email@example.com.
The Edinburgh Castle is undoubtedly the top tourist attraction in the city of Edinburgh. It is simply a "must-visit"... more travel advice
The Honours of Scotland, i.e. the Crown (made for James V in 1540), the Sceptre (presented to James IV in 1494) and the... more travel advice
- See All Tea break at Palace of Holyroodhouse
- See All Taxi in Edinburgh
- See All Ocean-Terminal Shopping Centre in...
- See All Official souvenir guide on Edinburgh...
hopang's Related Pages
United Kingdom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Firas in Wonderland"
- "My U.K. - a home I love very dearly."
- "East, West, Home is Best."
- "My Home"
- "Jet Ski!"
- "United Kingdom Adventure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United Kingdom
- Hotels in United Kingdom
- Transportation in United Kingdom
- Nightlife in United Kingdom
- Restaurants in United Kingdom
- Shopping in United Kingdom
- Warnings and Dangers in United Kingdom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United Kingdom
- 56 Reviews
- 546 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to United Kingdom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United Kingdom
- Commented on one of hopang's United Kingdom travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh"
- Wrote a Review The Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh in United Kingdom Things to Do
- updated a United Kingdom Travelogue "Honours of the Kingdom in Edinburgh C"
- Uploaded a Video to United Kingdom
Photos in United KingdomSee All Photos (546)
Videos in United KingdomSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 153 reviews, 990 photos, 68 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania Intro, 54 reviews, 678 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 88 reviews, 592 photos, 35 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 72 reviews, 607 photos, 46 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 104 reviews, 518 photos, 23 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 56 reviews, 547 photos, 45 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 40 reviews, 556 photos, 46 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 40 reviews, 542 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 33 reviews, 502 photos, 45 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 50 reviews, 432 photos, 36 travelogues