"FINLAND" Top 5 Page for this destination Finland by hopang

Finland Travel Guide: 9,556 reviews and 21,739 photos

Republic of Finland

Finland is a Scandinavian or Nordic country located in Northern Europe. It is bordering Sweden to the west, Russia to the east and Norway to the north. South of Finland lies Estonia.

The capital of Finland is Helsinki which is also its largest city. Finland has a population of more than five million inhabitants. Its total area is slightly less than 340,000 square kilometres. Finland is the 8th largest country in Europe in terms of area.

Finland is a member of European Union (EU). Its official languages are Finnish and Swedish. Majority of Swedish people live in Åland, an island located to the west of mainland Finland. The capital of Åland is Mariehamn. Regular ferries ply between the port cities of Mariehamn, Helsinki, Stockholm and Tallinn.

The following are two of our favourite attractions regarding our trip to Finalnd:-

Cruise between Mariehamn and Stockholm

Take a cruise to Stockholm, Sweden if you are staying in Mariehamn, Åland, Finland for your vacations. You may travel with Cinderella of Viking Line. It is just a one and a half day cruise with accommodation on board. It promises to be a fun-filled vacation with lots of things to do onboard the ship ranging from tax-free shopping, fine dining, disco and nightclub dancing, swimming, health centre and not forgetting gambling at the casino.

Lutheran Cathedral, Helsinki

Lutheran Cathedral is located at Senate Square just 300 meters from Saluhallen and the harbour of Helsinki. It is a lovely Russian Orthodox Cathedral, one of the few located in Northern Europe! We have been to the outside of Lutheran Cathedral at Senate Square on numerous occasions, probably five or six times, but we have never entered the Cathedral before! We will make it a point to enter the Cathedral at least once on our next trip to Helsinki. Nevertheless the Lutheran Cathedral is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city of Helsinki!

• Intro Updated May 15, 2009

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2010 at 12:29 PM

We treally liked Helsinki during our recent visit..but the Reindeer Paella was a bit to EXOTIC for us!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Great overview of the Finnish towns which you visited. I really love Helsinki and besides have only been to Turku and Porvoo in Finland.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Interesting tips on a country that I remain to visit! The Pommern Museum Ship looks very exciting!

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Finland is in my wish list. I will make good use of your tips when I visit.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Interesting page. The cathedral looks lovely and it's good to see that the Glaswegian Pommern ship found a good home here

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2009 at 6:16 AM

The Uspenski Cathedral looks like a real jewel. I'm sure I'd enjoy all those ferry trips. Perhaps we saw your ferry from Kappelskar, where we stayed a few years ago?

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Finland forever! ><>< Great pictures and stories... Thanks, friends! :-)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 5:58 AM

The Uspenski Cathedral is indeed impressive. I like the idea of do-it-yourself fresh grilled food and a lovely view also. Thanks for checking out my Granada, Spain page. Hans & I enjoyed our visit there very much.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 4:43 AM

cracking littel page you have here

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2009 at 10:43 PM

It looks like you had a good time in Finland. Hopefully the cathedral will be open for you next time.

hopang

“May each day bring blessings to you whenever and wherever you go!”

Badges & Stats in Finland

Have you been to Finland?

Latest Activity in Finland