"MALAYSIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia by hopang
Malaysia Travel Guide: 27,941 reviews and 69,925 photos
Malaysia is located in Southeast Asia between Thailand and Singapore. It is a member of Asean and has a population of approximately 26 million inhabitants. The majority of the population are Malays with Chinese and Indians forming the rest of the population. It received independent from the British in 1957. Kuala Lumpur is the capital city of Malaysia. We are living in historic city of Melaka which is located approximately 180 kilometres south of Kuala Lumpur.
The following are two of our favourite tourist spots in Malaysia:-
Jonker Walk is located at Jonker Street (known as Jalan Hang Jebat) right in the heart of Melaka's Chinatown in the historic city of Melaka. It is a narrow street with some of Melaka's oldest houses dating back to 17th century when Dutch conquored Melaka. Jonker Street is formerly known as Antique Street due to the many antique stores around the area selling ancient artifacts and various antiques from the past centuries. Jonker is a Dutch word which literally means master. Jonker Street is an ideal location to hunt and bargain for antiques and ancient artifacts.
Jonker Walk was established in the year 2000 by Melaka State Government to boost the influx of foreign tourists to Melaka city. During the weekends from Friday to Sunday nights between 7.00 p.m. and 12.00 midnight, the whole street is closed to vehicular traffic and Jonker Walk turns into open-air night markets selling all kinds of items including ornamental antiques, old copper coins, souvenirs, local delicious food, arts and crafts, clothings and textiles, CDs and DVDs, household utensils and wooden clog. It is always very crowded during those nights. Some old houses at Jonker Walk also organise dancing classes and Chinese classical music instrument performances.
Open-air market at Jonker Walk is a very popular tourist attraction. Local Chinese prefer to sing karaoke at the permanent stage set up by the state government. Chairs are provided in front of the stage for interested spectators. It is an ideal spot to pass your evening! Don't miss Jonker Walk when you are in Melaka for your vacation!
Kota Raya Shopping Complex is located at the junction of Jalan Silang and Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock right in the heart of Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown. It is one of the oldest shopping centers in Kuala Lumpur. It was a very popular shopping center in the 1960s and 1970s. It is still popular today for budget shoppers. Kotaraya is conveniently located within a stone's throw from the main bus terminal Puduraya. It is also located adjacent to S & M Shopping Center along Jalan Silang.
Wide range of items at bargain prices are on sale in the shopping complex such as budget clothings, textiles, handbags, shoes, electrical goods, CDs, VCDs and DVDs, video tapes, handphone accessories, watches, spectacles, toys and households goods. Several hair dressing and beauty saloons are located on the first and second floors of the shopping complex. The upper floors are entertainment outlets with numerous video game arcades.
You are looking at our photograph on the right of Jalur Gemilang yacht moored at a harbour in Pulau Langkawi. The yacht... more travel advice
Restaurant New Good World is located at Taman Melaka Raya just within a stone's throw from Mahkota Parade Shopping... more travel advice
hopang's Related Pages
Malaysia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Malaysia Year 2007 has started"
- "Malaysia - a cool fusion of culture and beliefs"
- "Malaysia Travel (and The Foreign Labour Colony)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malaysia
- Hotels in Malaysia
- Transportation in Malaysia
- Nightlife in Malaysia
- Restaurants in Malaysia
- Shopping in Malaysia
- Warnings and Dangers in Malaysia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malaysia
- 53 Reviews
- 186 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Malaysia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malaysia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 132 reviews, 768 photos, 51 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania Intro, 54 reviews, 678 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 88 reviews, 592 photos, 35 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 72 reviews, 607 photos, 46 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 104 reviews, 494 photos, 20 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 40 reviews, 556 photos, 46 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 40 reviews, 542 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 50 reviews, 432 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 55 reviews, 410 photos, 28 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 50 reviews, 398 photos, 30 travelogues