"VATICAN CITY" Top 5 Page for this destination Vatican City by hopang
Vatican City Travel Guide: 1,311 reviews and 4,165 photos
Vatican City is a landlocked city state located within the city of Rome in Italy. It has a total area of only 110 acres and a population of less than 1,000 people. Therefore it is the smallest country in the world in terms of population as well as area.
Vatican City came into existence in 1929. The capital of the State of Vatican City is Vatican City. It has no official language although majority of the population speak Italian. The photos at this page were taken outside the famed St. Peter's Cathedral which is the largest cathedral in the world.
Two of our favourite attractions at the Vatican City are as follows:-
St. Peter's Basilica is the largest cathedral in the world. It attracts millions of locals and foreign tourists from all over the world. The Basilica is a "must-visit" tourist attraction when you are in Rome for your vacation. The Basilica can hold a total number of approximately 60,000 people at one time. It was constructed and consecrated in the year 1626. St. Peter's Basilica was designed by famous Italian architect Donato Bramante in Renaissance and Baroque style of architecture.
Entrance to the basilica is free. Opening hours are between 7.00 a.m. and 7.00 p.m. daily between the months of April and September and between 7.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. daily between the months of October and March.
The Bronze Statue of St. Peter is one of the popular tourist attractions inside St. Peter's Basilica. Local and foreign tourists queue up to touch or kiss the foot of St. Peter to pray for mercy or forgiveness. This act has been going on for many centuries. You will notice that the right foot of the statue of St. Peter is almost worn out due to the touching and kissing! This Bronze Statue of St. Peter was sculptured by Arnolfo di Cambio in the 5th century. Don't miss the Statue of St. Peter when you visit St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City!
The Dome that we see today at St. Peter's Basilica was redesigned by Michelangelo in the middle of the 16th century.... more travel advice
Beware of free-lance tour guides positioned outside St. Peter's Basilica! They attract unsuspecting foreign tourists... more travel advice
hopang's Related Pages
Vatican City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vatican City - Holy See"
- "The Holy See: A Pilgrim's Report"
- "Destination: Citta Del Vaticano"
- "A country in a City!"
- "VATICAN CITY"
- "The Smallest Country in the World"
- "Papal Palace, Papal City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vatican City
- Hotels in Vatican City
- Transportation in Vatican City
- Nightlife in Vatican City
- Restaurants in Vatican City
- Shopping in Vatican City
- Warnings and Dangers in Vatican City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vatican City
- 21 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Vatican City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vatican City
Photos in Vatican CitySee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 117 reviews, 1036 photos, 74 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 153 reviews, 990 photos, 68 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 78 reviews, 1023 photos, 92 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 45 reviews, 872 photos, 84 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 108 reviews, 751 photos, 50 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania Intro, 54 reviews, 678 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 72 reviews, 607 photos, 46 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 58 reviews, 619 photos, 51 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 56 reviews, 547 photos, 45 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 40 reviews, 556 photos, 46 travelogues