"REPUBLIC OF MALTA" Top 5 Page for this destination Malta by hopang

Malta Travel Guide: 5,606 reviews and 13,366 photos

Sliema

Republic of Malta consists of three major islands and other smaller islands. The three main islands are Malta island, Gozo and Comino. Republic of Malta is located in Meditterannean Sea less than 100 kilometres south of Sicily in Italy. Malta has become a popular tourist destination among the Europeans and the Americans.

The following are two of our favourite tourist attractions in the Republic of Malta:-

Ggantija Temples, Gozo

Ggantija Temples are located at Xaghra on the island of Gozo. They are pre-historic megalithic temple complex consisting of two temples which were excavated in the 19th century. The well-preserved ruins of the temples date back to at least 3000 BC, probably more than 5,500 years old. They are considered as the oldest free standing monument in the world! Ggantija Temples are one of the most important archeological sites in Malta. They were listed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1980.

Mosta Dome

Mosta Dome is a church located at Mosta in main Malta island. Construction of Mosta Dome was completed in the 19th century. The church was designed by Girogio Grongnet, a popular Maltese architect. The dome has a diameter of approximately 37 metres. It is regarded as one of the largest domes in the world.

During the second world war, several bombs were dropped on the roof of the church where several hundreds worshippers were inside the church. Miraculously all the bombs did not explode. Replica of the bombs is displayed in the church.

• Intro Updated May 9, 2009

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM

nice tips.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Nice page. I'm going back there soon. Ciao!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Malta is very much advertised on Travel channel here by us at the moment. Your page makes it come to life for me. Thanks for the interesting tips ;-)

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Hi Ho&Pang, Your Malta page bring my memories back. Cobbled streets, statues, squares, gardens and islands. All the best. Bora

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Very interesting. I want to go there.

• Apr 12, 2010 at 5:38 AM

Every single picture you took seemed so bright, sunny, and colorful. If I ever make it to Malta, I'm going to sample some of the local rabbit.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Thanks for your overview of Malta. I hope to visit there soon because one of my sons is now living in Malta with his family.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Malta is high on my whish list and your page gives a very vivid look of its wonders ! Thanks for sharing ! The Garden of Grand Master's Palace is awsome ! We surely will not miss Marsaxlokk open air market, it looks exciting!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Hello, friends! ~ What an attracting place! I'd like to pay a visit some day!<><><><> Your story is better than a guide-book! Thanks!

• Jan 29, 2010 at 1:37 AM

@hopang I agree entirely - as a resident in Malta for a few years now, I find a map of Cyprus very helpful. I even went as far as getting Cypriot sat nav maps for my car whilst in Malta.

hopang

“May each day bring blessings to you whenever and wherever you go!”

Badges & Stats in Malta