"Republic of Hungary" Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary by hopang
Hungary Travel Guide: 11,386 reviews and 28,935 photos
Republic of Hungary is located at Carpathian Basin in Central Europe. It has a land area of approximately 90,000 square kilometers. The population of the country is approximately 10 millions. Hungary is a member of European Union, NATO and a Schengen state. The capital and largest city in Hungary is Budapest with a population of approximately two and a half million inhabitants. Other large cities of interests are Debrecen, Miskolc, Szeged and Pécs.
The following are two of our favourite tourist attractions in Hungary:-
Buda Castle (Budai Vár in Hungarian) is located at the southern end of Castle Hill at Buda side of the city. It was formerly known as Royal Palace. Buda Castle is undoubtedly the most popular tourist attraction in Budapest and attract millions of foreign tourists every year. It was first constructed in the middle of the 13th century for the Hungarian kings by King Béla IV after the Mongol invasion. Much of the original castle had been damaged or destroyed during the wars. The new Royal Palace was designed by Alajos Hauszmann in the beginning of the 20th century. It is approximately 300 meter long. Buda Castle was designated as World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1987.
Today the castle is home to several museums including the Hungarian National Gallery, the Budapest History Museum and the Contemporary Art Nuseum. The castle complex has an excellent breath-taking and commanding view of River Danube, the bridges and Pest side of the city. Change of guard is conducted at 12.00 noon daily. Don't miss the Buda Castle when you visit Budapest on your vacation!
Heroes Square (Hösök tere in Hungarian) is located at the end of Andrássy Avenue next to the City Park and the Museum of Fine Arts in the VI district. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Budapest and is also a favourite meeting places for the locals. The square was constructed in the late 19th century to celebrate millenium. It is also known as Millenium Memorial by the locals and is certainly one of the most popular squares in the city.
Heroes Square consists of a tall Corinthian column reaching the height of approximately 40 meters with the statue of Archangel Gabriel at the top (refer to our main photograph on the right). Below the column lies the equestrian statues of seven Magyar tribes who settled in Hungary in the 9th or 10th century. Behind the column lies two rows of semi-circle colonnades consisting of 14 statues of Hungarian kings (seven on each side) including Stephen I, Ladislaus I, Coloman, Andrew II, Béla IV, Charles I and Louis I. Heroes Square was designated as World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2002..
Ethnographic Museum (Néprajzi Múzeum in Hungarian) is located at Kossuth Square just opposite the Budapest Parliament... more travel advice
Hotel Hilton Castle District Budapest is a five star tourist class hotel located right in the heart of the Castle Hill... more travel advice
hopang's Related Pages
Hungary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Republic of Hungary"
- "Paul2001 Quick trip through Hungary"
- "cobrioc's new Hungary Page"
- "Hungary -- Travels with Dad"
- "Beautiful Hungary Pages·:*¨`*:·~My§ticÄl~·:*¨`"
- "I used to live here - will return to live there"
- "croisbeauty's new Hungary Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hungary
- Hotels in Hungary
- Transportation in Hungary
- Nightlife in Hungary
- Restaurants in Hungary
- Shopping in Hungary
- Warnings and Dangers in Hungary
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hungary
- 41 Reviews
- 212 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Hungary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hungary
Videos in HungarySee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 117 reviews, 1032 photos, 73 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 153 reviews, 990 photos, 68 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 78 reviews, 1023 photos, 92 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 43 reviews, 862 photos, 84 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 108 reviews, 671 photos, 40 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania Intro, 54 reviews, 678 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 72 reviews, 607 photos, 46 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 58 reviews, 619 photos, 51 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United Kingdom Intro, 56 reviews, 547 photos, 45 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 40 reviews, 556 photos, 46 travelogues