"AUSTRIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Austria by hopang
Austria Travel Guide: 19,307 reviews and 52,622 photos
Austria is located in Central Europe. It is bordering Germany and Czech Republic to the north, Slovakia and Hungary to the east, Italy and Slovenia to the south and Switzerland and Liechtenstein to the west. Vienna is its capital which is also its largest city. Majority of the population in Austria speak German although English is also widely spoken in Austria. It has a population of slightly more than eight million inhabitants. Austria has a total area of approximately 84,000 square kilometres. It is a member of European Union (EU).
The follwong are two of our favourite tourist attractions in the city of Vienna:-
Schönbrunn Palace is certainly one of the top tourist attractions in the city of Vienna in particular and Austria in general. It attracts millions of tourists from around the world each year. It is also one of the most popular palaces in the world. The palace was constructed in the late 17th century under Leopold I and was later extended in the 18th century under Maria Theresa.
We visited Schönbrunn Palace during the cold dark Christmas weekend. The queue was still fairly long even though it was winter in Austria. Unfortunately photography and video recording is not allowed inside the palace. The Imperial Tour of the palace with audioguide costs 9.50 euros per adult which covers approximately 20 state rooms and takes approximately half an hour. Grand Tour with coverage of approximately 40 state rooms costs 12.90 euros per adult with audioguide and takes approximately an hour. You may download the audioguide in several languages including English, Italian, French, Chinese and Japanese into your mp3 free-of-charge even before you arrive at Vienna. This is to save time instead of queing up for the audioguide at the palace.
A good tip is the winter pass which costs just 25.00 euros per adult. It entitles the pass holder with admission to grand tour of the palace with audioguide, Schönbrunn Zoo, the Palm House, Carriage Museum and the Desert Experience House. The winter pass tour takes an entire day. As we were in Vienna for just the Christmas weekend, we took only the Imperial Tour. We hope to see the rest of the attractions in our summer tour in the near future!
Opening hours are between 8.30 a.m. and 4.30 p.m. daily during the winter months and extended to 6.00 p.m. during the summer months. For further information you may also e-mail to the following address:- firstname.lastname@example.org
Belvedere Palace is made up of two main buildings with Baroque style of architecture, viz Upper Belvedere (Oberes) and Lower Belvedere (Unteres). Many visitors have confused between the two. Even we were mistaken the first time we searched for the location from the map.
Upper and Lower Belvedere were constructed in the early 18th century under Prince Eugéne of Savoy by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt.
Lower Belvedere is home to Austrian Baroque Museum. Upper Belvedere houses Austrian's 19th and 20th century Art Gallery with works of several popular Austrian artists, one of whom is Gustav Klimt whose famous art was known as "The Kiss". You will be able to see many posters of this famous painting in many parts of Vienna, even at Vienna International Airport (VIE). There is also Museum of Medieval Art which is housed in Orangery of the Lower Belvedere. Nevertheless these art museums may not be of interest to some tourists who prefer to walk around the park which is free-of-charge. Photography and video recording is not allowed inside these art galleries.
Danube Canal (Donau Kanal in German) is also known as Little Danube or Kleine Donau in Germans. It is a branch of River... more travel advice
Museum of Fine Arts (Kunsthistorisches Museum in German) is located at Maria Theresienplatz just opposite the Natural... more travel advice
- See All An exclusive upmarket shopping centre
- See All Watching operas and concerts
- See All Excellent cakes and pastries
- See All Winter jackets
hopang's Related Pages
Austria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Austria - Where to go and what to do !"
- "Classy Austria"
- "Paul2001's Austria Page"
- "4 Visits and 1 conclusion... Stunning!!"
- "VT meeting in Pisa"
- "Country of mountains, country of streams..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Austria
- Hotels in Austria
- Transportation in Austria
- Nightlife in Austria
- Restaurants in Austria
- Shopping in Austria
- Warnings and Dangers in Austria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Austria
- 43 Reviews
- 220 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Austria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austria
Videos in AustriaSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 132 reviews, 768 photos, 51 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lithuania Intro, 54 reviews, 678 photos, 54 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 88 reviews, 592 photos, 35 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 72 reviews, 607 photos, 46 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Intro, 104 reviews, 494 photos, 20 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 40 reviews, 556 photos, 46 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 40 reviews, 542 photos, 50 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 33 reviews, 502 photos, 45 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 50 reviews, 432 photos, 36 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 55 reviews, 410 photos, 28 travelogues