"The End of the Lewis and Clark Trail" Fort Clatsop National Memorial by fred98115
Fort Clatsop National Memorial Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 39 photos
The Expedition erected a fort structure to use for wintering over on the coast, which represented a deep disappointment for the party. While they had achieved the stated goal of finding an overland route to the Pacific Ocean, the hope ahd been that it would be a short, easy connection between the Missouri and Columbia Rivers. This was not reality. Further, they hoped to be met by a ship at the mouth of the Columbia so they could sail home. None materialized and they accepted the inevitable: they were goint to retrace their steps back to St. Louis.
They built Fort Clatsop - a replica exists today on the site - to winter over, work on diaries, catalogue plants and animals, and replenish supplies. Accommodations were tight, as you can see. It was a dreary, depressing place where it rained and rained and rained.
Photographers: bring your zoom lens to get wide angle shots as well as picking out interesting details. You'll need a flash in the rooms since light levels are really low.
Lewis and Clark craved salt, principally because it was the preferred method for preserving meat. Statistic: each person of the party averaged eating nine pounds of meat per day.
Lewis and Clark scoured the beaches nearby looking for a location with driftwood, rocks, and salty sea water. They found it at Seaside. The "make salt" site was manned nonstop for several weeks. It was isolated, bleak, unprotected, and must have been an experience of hard work and suffering.
Seaside considers itself the end of the trail. Photographers: while the replica salt works is a boring subject, Seaside is a fascinating place with beach and town photo chances.
- Pros:Experience the winter home of the Lewis and Clark party
- Cons:It's in the upper left corner of the USA
- In a nutshell:a must see for the history buff
Seaside has defined itself as the end of the trail since it has a site of the Expedition: the Salt Works. This is a... more travel advice
fred98115's Related Pages
Fort Clatsop National Memorial Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So much more than just a fort"
- "The End of the Lewis and Clark Trail"
- "FORT CLATSOP - A NEW NATIONAL PARK IS BORN"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Clatsop National Memorial
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Fort Clatsop National Memorial?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Clatsop National Memorial
- Wrote a Review Seaside is the End of the Lewis and Clark Trail in Fort Clatsop National Memorial Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Seaside is the End of the Lewis and Clark Trail"
- updated a Fort Clatsop National Memorial Travel Page "The End of the Lewis and Clark Trail"
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Value of one day air excursion to..."
Photos in Fort Clatsop National MemorialSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Great Falls Intro, 11 reviews, 56 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Sydney Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos
- Oslo Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Ny-Ålesund Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Montevideo Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos
- North Iceland Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
No friends yet.