"Lewis and Clark missed it, but you can see it" Giant Springs Heritage State Park by fred98115
Giant Springs Heritage State Park Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos
Downstream from Great Falls and the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center is the Giant Springs State park with two unusual geological features: Roe River and the Giant Springs. The springs discharge 156 million gallons of water daily into the Missouri River. Lewis walked on the other side of the river when looking for a portage route around the Great Falls and missed these springs. Surrounded by trees and with green plants in the water, these are truly photogenic. Walk around the Springs and use the full range of your zoom lens. Note, access is free with a Montana license plate but costs a few dollars if not. This park is worth every penny for the photobug.
Giant Springs water flows either directly into the Missouri or indirectly via the Roe River. There is a story here. An Oregon Coastal town claimed the "D" River as the shortest, a fact which the Guiness Book of Records accepted. Along comes Roe River supporters who claimed that there river was shorter. Not so fast said the "D"-ers, who remeasured their river as 120 feet in length from origin to the high tide high water mark. Guiness threw up their hands and stoutly refused to award the title to anyone. I've seen both and, as a photobug, both are photogenic in their own way.
- Pros:Photogenic, cool when it is hot, rapturious
- Cons:None, really, there are none
- In a nutshell:The coolest thing to see in the Great Falls area
The Springs present many features much beloved by photographers: good light and wonderful colors. We have been there... more travel advice
fred98115's Related Pages
Giant Springs Heritage State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lewis and Clark missed it, but you can see it"
- Create a Giant Springs Heritage State Park Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Giant Springs Heritage State Park
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Giant Springs Heritage State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Giant Springs Heritage State Park
- Wrote a Review Giant Springs a photobug's nirvana in Giant Springs Heritage State Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Giant Springs a photobug's nirvana"
- created a Giant Springs Heritage State Park Travel Page "Lewis and Clark missed it, but you can see it"
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Value of one day air excursion to..."
Photos in Giant Springs Heritage State ParkSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Great Falls Intro, 11 reviews, 56 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Fredericksburg Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos
- Sydney Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos
- San Antonio Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos
- Oslo Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Ny-Ålesund Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
No friends yet.