"Unique destination above the Arctic Circle" Longyearbyen by fred98115
Longyearbyen Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 176 photos
Longyearbyen is the most accessible and largest town on the largest island, Spitsbergen, in Svalbard. This is in the Land of the Midnight Sun where the sun is above the horizon for 127 days. It is also the land of the polar bear; the number of people and polar bears on Spitsbergen are equal. We came there on a Holland America Line cruise through the Isfjorden fjord and enjoyed excursions to some unique sights.
The tundra is land with permafrost, but even it can support life. Our cruise excursion took us out of town to a Wilderness Center where we could be on the tundra. This is a new thing to a city boy and was very interesting.
The American engineer, Longyear, opened the first coal mine on the island 100 years ago. The mines were in the mountains, so he devised a ropeway system to carry the coal from the mine to the harbor. This featured hubs where the ropeways intersected. Much of the industry was destroyed in the Second World War so that the Germans would not have access to the coal resources. One mine is still open. Relics of the old system do exist.
- Pros:Most accessible experience of tundra and far north
- Cons:Short season of decent weather, polar bears are real
- In a nutshell:Loved the raw nature of the land
Polar bears are real and they are in the area outside of town. There are a bit more than 2,000 people on Spitsbergen... more travel advice
fred98115's Related Pages
Longyearbyen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Svalbard Arkipelet ('Cold Coast')"
- "Longyearbyen - the northernmost city of the world"
- "Cruising to Longyearbyen"
- "paradise or in the middel of nowhere"
- "Longyearbyen, the smallest and northermost capital"
- "aah! so refreshing!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Longyearbyen
- Hotels in Longyearbyen
- Transportation in Longyearbyen
- Restaurants in Longyearbyen
- Shopping in Longyearbyen
- Warnings and Dangers in Longyearbyen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Longyearbyen
- 3 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Longyearbyen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Longyearbyen
Photos in LongyearbyenSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Great Falls Intro, 11 reviews, 56 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Fredericksburg Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos
- Sydney Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos
- San Antonio Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos
- Oslo Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Ny-Ålesund Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
No friends yet.