"The Ultimate Destination on Earth" Antarctica by fred98115
Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,220 reviews and 2,930 photos
We joined a Holland America cruise in Santiago that would go to the Antarctic Peninsula and disembark in Buenos Aires. The temptation to visit this part of the world, even if from a cruise ship, is one to be satiated. In my scheme of things, first comes the Outer Islands. One example is shown here, Elephant Island, is the location where 22 members of Shackleton's Expedition were stranded for 125 days in 1915 - living beneath upturned boats and having penguins for three meals a day.
We woke on our first cruise day at the peninsula, pulled back the shades, and were greeted by black and white. The landscape of ice, mountains and water was muted by clouds and fog. Much of the morning it snowed, a fine particle snow that seemed unsure of its intentions. We are here. We will not be this way again. We took photographs, ignoring the conditions. It was mystical.
Our second day on the peninsula, we threw back the shades and were greeted by brilliant sunlight and white glaciers. Today we would see magical places with names like Paradise Bay, Andvold Bay, Cuverville Island, Enterprise Island, as we cruise along the Antarctica Peninsula. And everyone is on deck to experience it.
- Pros:Out of this world unique experience
- Cons:Hard to get to, expensive, and weather can be horrid or great
- In a nutshell:Give me 25K USD and I'll go back today
The photo opportunities continue even as you leave Antarctica. You take so many pictures that you feel "done". However,... more travel advice
Palmer Station is one of several national research stations on the Peninsula. The benefit of being on a cruise ship is... more travel advice
fred98115's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 9 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
- Commented on one of fred98115's Antarctica travel pages
- Wrote a Review Keep the Camera Out Even When Leaving in Antarctica Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Keep the Camera Out Even When Leaving"
- updated a Antarctica Travel Page "The Ultimate Destination on Earth"
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Value of one day air excursion to..."
Top 10 Pages
- Great Falls Intro, 11 reviews, 56 photos
- Antarctica Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Fredericksburg Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos
- Sydney Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos
- San Antonio Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos
- Oslo Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Ny-Ålesund Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
No friends yet.