"So many museums, so many people in them" Saint Petersburg by fred98115
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 3,480 reviews and 7,351 photos
Our visit to St. Petersburg came in a cruise to ports on the Baltic Sea. Since we confined our sightseeing to ship excursions, we faced large crowds in the museums we saw, but - and this is a big cost item - we did not have to buy a visa. St. Petersburg is the second largest city in Russia. Much of the city was destroyed in the Second World War and a million Russians starved to death when it was under seige for 900 days. To their credit, the city has been rebuilt. It is on marshland and has many canals for drainage, thus giving it the nickname, "Venice of the North". Judging by the vast number of apartments, we would call it the "Apartment Complex of the North".
Located in the Winter Palace with 353 rooms, this art museum houses three million exhibits. This is more than the Louvre, MOMA, Prado and British Museum combined. It is impossible to see it all, so we appreciated that we were on a tour that focused on the gems in the collection. It also meant that we did not wait at the gate to enter, which was great because the museum was crowded. Be forewarned: if you plan to photograph in the galleries, you will be required to buy a pass and payment must be made in exact change. We did, we paid, and it was a very wise decision since the museum is gorgeous inside.
Outside of the city in Pushkin is the completely restored Catherine's Palace. It was gutted in the war by a bomb and ensuing fire. Even though the Palace portrayed the monarchist's life, Stalin initiated a restoration that took forty years to complete. This is a stunning place inside and out. When you go, and you should go, be sure to walk about the grounds.
- Pros:Fascinating history and museums make this a great site
- Cons:Can be very crowded in the summer
- In a nutshell:A must see for all serious travelers
Catherine's Palace, located outside of St. Petersburg in Pushkin, is a remarkable restored landmark that travelers... more travel advice
fred98115's Related Pages
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons"
- "St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great"
- "St. Petersburg in Spring"
- "STUNNING ST. PETERSBURG!"
- "St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges"
- "St Petersburg in Summer"
- "Saint Petersburg~ Russia at its best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Petersburg
- Hotels in Saint Petersburg
- Transportation in Saint Petersburg
- Nightlife in Saint Petersburg
- Restaurants in Saint Petersburg
- Shopping in Saint Petersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Petersburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Saint Petersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Value of one day air excursion to..."
- Wrote a Review Catherine's Palace a winner inside and out about Palaces in Saint Petersburg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Catherine's Palace a winner inside and out"
- created a Saint Petersburg Travel Page "So many museums, so many people in them"
Photos in Saint PetersburgSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 37 photos
- Bergen Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Oslo Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Ny-Ålesund Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos
- Montevideo Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos
- North Iceland Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Saint Petersburg hotel reviews
- Nevsky Grand Hotel
- 181 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Angleterre Hotel
- 224 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Nevsky 64
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Ambassador Hotel
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Nevsky Hotel Aster
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Nord Hostel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Grand Hotel Emerald
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Hotel Neva
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 14, 2013
- Golden Garden Boutique Hotel
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 3, 2013
- Azimut Hotel
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Nevsky Inn Bed and Breakfast
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 23, 2013
- Helvetia Hotel Suites
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- By the Hermitage
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 24, 2013